Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my ultrasound scan yesterday and I fully expected their edd to not match mine. If I had ovulated when I usually do I wouldn't have got pregnant when I did! Anyway...I really thought that I was going to be looking at at least a week LATER than I originally thought...original edd Jan 4. Shocked the heck out of me when she said it actually looked like I'm a week and half farther along than I was thinking. New edd Dec 25.

Sooo...with my last two I went past due...contributed to being induced and ultimately two c-sections.

Do you think my midwife will let me keep my original edd anyway? I know for ABSOLUTE certain when my last period was. I'm thinking keeping the later due date doesn't put me on the clock so soon...if I go past 42 weeks they have to get an ob involved. I will not be induced this time...I'm going into labour naturally and having this baby naturally!

· Registered
904 Posts
The way I understand it, unless it's a VERY early u/s (say 5-8 weeks), it's not reliable to judge how far along you are.

I had one at around 7 weeks and it changed my due date from 9/2 to 9/5. The new date is closer to my ovulation due date, so I'm assuming it's the more accurate one.

· Registered
673 Posts
My u/s edd is about 4 days earlier than what I know my actual edd is becuase I know exactly when I ovulated. The OB is going by the u/s edd but I tell everyone who asks what my "real" edd is. If it comes down to me being "overdue" by their dates and them getting pushy about interventions then I will get more pushy about when I know my actual edd should be.

· Registered
3,253 Posts
They moved my due date up on me with my DD by 10 days. I went past that and she was a coerced c-section for fetal macrosomia on her original due date. I was charting and knew when I ovulated so my date was more correct.

I recently became pregnant again (but unfortunately am no longer pregnant) and my HB midwife went by my estimated due date based on ovulation. I would talk to your midwife.

· Premium Member
14,435 Posts
Ditto pp... dating with u/s isn't very accurate after the first 7-8 weeks. During those first few weeks the babe is going through some very specific and "universal" changes and we can pinpoint very specifically how far along the process is. After that point though things get much fuzzier. There is a general developmental progression that babes follow, but individual growth patterns are much stronger... some babes get bigger faster, some bulk up their bones a bit more quickly, some take a little longer to move their inner organs around. The u/s tech is making a trained guess based on when the "average babe" will have done certain things... and since no babe really is "average" the date given by the u/s can be off by a fair amount.

Your care provider should know that. Show them a date book with all your menstrual flows marked (make one now if you didn't keep one then) and be very clear that you know when you DTD, you know when your last flow was, and you are confident in your EDD.

Good luck and happy birthing!

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Yeah unless it's specifically a DATING ultrasound (which would occur at 10 wks or earlier) it's not the best dating tool you have, so I would go by your orig. dates.

My MW was great about this - she looked at my BBT chart and agreed with my O date, which put my EDD on June 12 of this summer. We did an early US to date the preg too, not because she doubted me, but b/c she thought it might be able to "buy me a day or two" on the back end. As it turns out the US date was June 11, so we just kept MY EDD. We ended up needing every day we could get - Claire wasn't born until 6/21, but was a fabulous VBAC!

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
We did an early US to date the preg too, not because she doubted me, but b/c she thought it might be able to "buy me a day or two" on the back end. As it turns out the US date was June 11, so we just kept MY EDD. We ended up needing every day we could get - Claire wasn't born until 6/21, but was a fabulous VBAC!
Yeah I really thought this u/s was going to buy me time! Thats why I am so shocked that it didn't!

I really think I will have no trouble talking my midwife into sticking with the original edd...like I said I'm pretty sure I ovulated "off" the month I got pregnant so the u/s could be right. But I'm hoping that their date is right and we can stick with the original edd since that means I'll have heaps of time to bake my baby.

· Registered
1,589 Posts
I was told with every ultrasound that I MUST have ovulated three weeks earlier then I thought. I SAW my eggs on a u/s, and I took a trigger shot to ovulate, so there was no way in [email protected] that My dates were off, lol.

Good luck mama!

· Registered
202 Posts
At the very least, perhaps you can compromise with the stress testing at 40 or 42 weeks. There is evidence that post date babies have a lower chance of successful VBAC, but no evidence that it increases your risk of UR. So I am not sure what they think lowers your success at that point. If the stress test is OK, I would insist on waiting. I can send the info if you want, or ask your midwife for ACOG's VBAC report.

· Registered
109 Posts
I don't know truly when I ovulated (around Thanksgiving) or when my LMP was and I've come to peace with not caring. The first u/s done at 16 weeks said I was due Aug 13th (wrong) and the later one done at 20 wks said Aug 23rd (we'll see). I am happy that they didn't go with my guess on LMP because that put me at Aug 9th. I'm also happy they aren't bugging me. I don't plan on being induced or even showing my face at the hospital until the baby is about to come out. It is such an inexact estimate that it really seems funny for them to try and be so specific. I read up on it on line and the person (Naegle of Naegle's rule) was born 230 years ago! He did the estimated due date thing. I'm sure that long ago he was truly looking for an estimate when he could tell the mom about when to expect a baby. I doubt he was looking for an exact day so he could be sure to induce at the right time! The comment whereever it was I was reading said it is an ESTIMATED due date, not an expiration date! I laughed for awhile about that! It also went on to say that most first babies come 15 days late and subsequent babies come 10 days late. Different ethnic backgrounds tended to show similar patterns (not written in stone), with African and Asian descent delivering approx 10 days before EDD. It was interesting and made me totally at ease waiting it out. I've had 4 c/s and am bound and determined that if I don't vbac it won't be because I caved into pressure about anything, rather because I knew a c/s was the best. That date carries a lot of weight and even more pressure, even with it being so inexact. You'll find your answer, just keep looking!

· Registered
877 Posts
My OB only changes dates if a first trimester transvaginal ultrasound differs by 2 weeks or more! It is not changed for later ultrasounds. I was certain of when my two kids were conceived - and they measured within the 6 day error range of transvaginal ultrasound in first trimester. Both were at least 2 weeks ahead by 18/20 weeks. They continued to be ahead by more and more. They were born at 41 and 42 weeks, at 10lb 8oz and 11lb 4oz. A larger baby isn't ready any sooner than a small baby. Plus, as we all know, many women have ultrasounds that are off on measurements. Mine were fairly correct with my kids - but it didn't mean my kids were ahead, just that they were big.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
I talked my OB into changing my date w/ Evan, but only b/c I knew I Oed later than a normal 28 day cycle would've said. He had my original edd as the 8th I think and I wanted the 19th or 20th. We compromised w/ my 12 wk u/s at the 16th. I wanted as much time as possible to get Evan out.
Didn't matter, I almost had him at 34 wks anyways and then he came on his own on the 7th. I wouldn't go w/ any date changes past 12 wks from my own experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.