Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

Like most very pregnant women, I'm starting to wonder when this kid'll be born. So I want to take a bit of a poll-

For those of you with 2 or more, how did the timing of when you went into labor compare from the first to the second?

I've heard seconds are generally 2 weeks earlier than firsts- but that seems like wishful thinking on my part.

My first was ten days late, and that was with my midwife rupturing membranes because I'd had three days of prelabor. So she may have been even later.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I heard that, too. Made my last few weeks MISERABLE! Dd was born at 39w4d, so I was expecting something like 38w3d, 39w even...

Nope. Ds was born at 40w2d.

When/if I have a third, I'm going to mentally plan on 41w.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
My first was born at 40 wks 6 days.
My second was born at 39 wks 4 days, (9 days earlier) which was a nice surprise!
Then, I was sure my third would be even earlier. He was born at 41 wks 2 days. (12 days later than #2!) Actually, though, I wasn't really ready for 3 kids, so I wasn't anxious for him to be born.
My fourth was born at 40 wks 0 days - which was another nice surprise.

Come to think of it, my boys were both late, and the girls were on time or early. Maybe it was a gender thing?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
We had a big gap- my eldest was born at 43weeks, 5 days, my youngest at 37 weeks and 6 days. I'm literally planning on running a sweepstake on this one- guess the date, weight, gender of the baby- with all profits to charity, so many people have an opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Statistically, second pregnancies are shorter than first pregnancies. But everyone is so different -- every baby is so different -- you can't count on anything. I say prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

Both of my babies were born at the same gestational age. My sister's first was 7 days early, her second was born on his due date.

·
Registered
699 Posts
First baby - 39 weeks (first sign anything was happening was my water breaking at 5 am)
Second baby - 37w 6d (after 3 weeks or so of being dilated 3-4 cm, nearly fully effaced, tons of BH, and emotionally/physically feeling the birth was going to happen any second that whole time!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts