Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the thread abt how not to have an allergic baby. Really helpful but too many options and info for this pregnant mama's brain.

So far I have 2 allergic kiddos, this preg I have been gfcf except for a few uncomfortable exceptions. I am hoping to birth at home etc... not planning on any antibiotics IV or oral like last time.

Do you think I should take the wait and see approach? or just dose this babe up with bifidus (or whatever).

If you think supplementing is wise could you tell me with what and why? Thank you for your help.

· Premium Member
11,160 Posts
If you have no yeast issues, I personally would increase my own consumption of honey, which helps bifidum to grow in my gut, increase my own intake of probiotics: yogurt, kefir, kombucha, fermented vegetables. And continue those DAILY after birthing.

The baby will get bifidum from your breastmilk.

IF you have yeast, I'd probably do GSE and whole food probiotics (above), PLUS bifidum in capsule form. And give bifidum infantis to baby at birth, on my finger at least four times a day. And continue those DAILY after birthing.

That is me.

Pat

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Well, I know myself and know that I would not be consuming kombucha, fermented veggies and the like so I would be giving probiotics to another LO from the start (I gave them to my DD from the start as well since I knew I would have abx in labor due to GBS - yeah, big mistake on my part). I would also make sure I was taking them and CLO and whatever else to keep my gut healthy that I know I would actually do on a regular basis.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm planning to do everything Pat mentioned. Yes, I'd definitely give probiotics from the start. I'll be giving the new baby bifidum (Kirkman Bifido Complex), probably at the first nursing session. I'll also be consuming copious amounts of fermented foods myself in addition to high-potency supplements.

· Premium Member
11,160 Posts
I want to add the CLO, CO, magnesium, zinc and Vit C to your pre/post baby diet to optimize your gut. (vit A and D)

If you know you are going to get antibiotics, or do get antibiotics, I'd probably go with the Nystatin immediately. (shhush, don't tell Calm that I wrote that, lol). I don't know. I'm just thinking I'd figure out a way to get me some GT Dave's kombucha, and Bubbies sauerkraut and pickles and consume those four times a day, in addition to the other probiotics before and after baby. Optimizing whole food microbials has so many more beneficial and undefined properties than questionably viable, artificially processed, bottled, transported, shelf-sitting probiotics from a manufacturer.

I'm leery about introducing "foreign" probiotics to baby. See, my logic is that the colostrum has inherent immune properties unique to mama. And breastmilk has its own microbial balance to inoculate the gut, especially at birth. I, personally, don't believe that "Science" knows more than Mother Nature. And I wish we hadn't disrupted that natural balance at birth. It was with anti-biotics; but one man's beneficial microbial may be another man's pathological microbial. There are some 400 microbials in the healthy gut, they are in a natural balance. I trust that, more than I trust the ability of R&D in the corporate world to create a superior product to mama's milk.

Pat

· Registered
1,123 Posts
gila, I just got the kirkman "lactobacillus duo" that was recomended on one of the other threads, has the rhamnosus and plantarum, it's hypoallergenic, casien free, gf, no gelatin or yeast etc; It is for me to take, I probably should have started a while ago , but I belive in better some, and better later than never, ykwim. I have also read (sorry if tmi) that some mamas use this vaginaly as well, Idon't have yeast symptoms , but would consider this.
I am also thinking about getting the one for babies from kirkman, not sure what to do yet , give it straigth away or wait and see, but I do want to have it on hand.
I do drink kombucha, although not everyday, and I just recently made some kimchee(sp?)
: yum, ITA with the raw honey being a good source, you could probably mix a teaspoon with a little water , room temp, and let it sit a while and then drink it.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice, esp Pat, I have been learning alot from you on so many threads lately.

I ordered the Natren Lifestart for the new babe. I dont think I have such a yeast problem at least based ont he spit test. I seem to have it under control with taking enzymes btwn meals and i was taking GSE with that but since stoped. I am continuing with my probiotics and finished the sourkrout that was sitting in fridge for a long time and am sipping the leftover brine now. I have a new lacto ferment sitting on the counter but I will probly give birth b4 it gets good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.