Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know this has been asked (believe me, I've scoured the archives), but I am 6.5 weeks pregnant and covered by Duke Select insurance. I live in the Durham area.<br><br>
Nearly every encounter I've had with Duke Health makes me want to cry--including their prenatal care. I can't choose to see any particular doctor; I have to see all of them because who knows which one will actually be at the delivery. I have to have all this mandatory STD testing (seriously??) and their prenatal packet gives out just plain wrong information (no soft cheese; no heartrate above 140). UGH.<br><br>
Please, can someone help a mama out? Both my husband and I are job-hunting, partly as an excuse to get off this horrible insurance and out of the Duke Health system, but in the meantime I have to find someone to care for the pregnancy. For my last birth, I had a family doc who did the delivery himself; he was amazing and I don't understand why I can't seem to find that with Duke insurance.<br><br>
Please, is there anyone even remotely crunchy, who will see the pregnancy through without forcing me to navigate 7 or 8 providers and a demeaning attitude from the clinic? Pretty please? (I'm afraid I already know the answer.)<br><br>
Thanks for any help, mamas.<br><br>
(edited to add line breaks)

·
Registered
499 Posts
<p>You can see the midwives at Durham Women's Clinic and deliver at Durham Regional . . . I see them for my GYN care but opt for homebirth </p>

·
Registered
117 Posts
<p>I'm not sure how Duke Select works. Can you only use Duke? Durham Regional has quite a few midwives on staff and I've heard good things. There's also the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill which is freestanding and run by midwives.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We're fighting with our insurance at the moment, too. I just got a letter saying they won't cover the BC as "in network" (even though it IS!) so unless I can get them to budge, we may be looking at alternatives, too. I've been trying to talk to my husband about homebirth but I think I'd have a little convincing to do.</p>
<p><br>
Good luck, mama!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts