Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from a well-known, widely-read mainstream parenting magazine's site, i found this tip ~

At the onset of labor, it's important to keep your energy up, so go ahead and eat something light before you leave for the hospital. Good choices are plain pasta, toast, gelatin, apple juice, and broth.

... yeah... cuz... you know... those are all really high in calories and really nutritionally dense...

ok, so what's the dumbest thing you've heard as advice for labor and/or birth from an allegedly "reputable" source (that lots of people know and trust)?

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
If I still had my copy of What To Expect When You're Expecting to reference I could give you a long list, but I've blocked it all out. :LOL

I think the idea of the toast and broth etc. is that it's easily digestible, less likely to be thrown up later. Personally I think the best advice is to eat just whatever is appealing to you, if and when you feel like it. I didn't have any desire to eat during my second and third labors, but I think that was partly because we didn't have anything in the house that sounded good. I tend to keep a rather sparse pantry -- nothing fancy. The one time I enjoyed eating in labor was during my first, we were out and about, and stopped at a speciality deli to see if there was something that I might want to eat. I got a piece of chocolate and cream cheese cake and boy was it good! :LOL Just what I needed to get me through labor -- calories and pleasure. If you'd offered me toast I definitely would have passed.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You want to 'carb load' up before you do your marathon. Athletes do this same thing. If you're eating well at every meal, you'll have a good store of protein already on board...so you carbo load when you're in early labor to give you that immediate access to energy. This is why many midwives/doulas will give honey sticks during labor, to give that quick energy boost.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
broth isn't what i'd call "carb loading."

i would prefer to see women advised to eat whatever they feel like eating during the entirety of their labor... kwim? i think *that* would be the best advice for keeping up one's energy.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Yeah, really, wouldn't you want something with a little more actual energy in it?

·
Registered
699 Posts
And really, if they're talking about "before you leave for the hospital", you should eat every thing you can shove in your mouth. Who knows when you'll be "allowed" to eat again?

I ate a large spaghetti supper right before I left for the hospital, and I was still vomiting from hunger (yeah, my body's weird) during labor. The nurses "allowed" me to eat half a Saltine and two sips of water. Thanks so much, that was REALLY nutritious. [/sarcasm]

Next time, yeah, I'll be eating what I want when I want (of course, I'll be at home).

Kinsey

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Hey, don't take offense, nobody knows everything (no matter how many births they've been to. My midwife had been to 1500 births before mine and unfortunately I found out there was a lot she didn't know.
: ) And for some people those foods are probably just the ticket! I think the silly part about the bit Klothos quoted was that they said "to keep your energy up... eat something light before you leave for the hospital", implying that that's your last chance and that it is going to keep you going through the entire labor... um, hm, I guess I just don't see how plain pasta is going to do that, you know? Right now I'm not expending anywhere near the energy that I will be in labor, and I can tell you (at 6 months gestation) that if I were to eat a meal of plain pasta and apple juice and broth I'd be famished a couple hours later... The sensible advice would be to eat high-energy foods throughout labor (again, if you feel like it.)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, I was being facetious.
I don't really think my midwives are dumb, and I am inclined to believe that they know what they're talking about on this one. So, no steak dinners for me during labor; I'll stick with pasta and toast.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
I think the silly part about the bit Klothos quoted was that they said "to keep your energy up... eat something light before you leave for the hospital", implying that that's your last chance and that it is going to keep you going through the entire labor...

Quote:
And really, if they're talking about "before you leave for the hospital", you should eat every thing you can shove in your mouth. Who knows when you'll be "allowed" to eat again?

with my son, i ate 1 cherry (strawberry? it was red) poptart early in the morning... then i went to my doctor's appointment, they realized i was in labor (5 cm) and kept me at the hospital. little had i known that they would restrict my intake of food while i was there... so for over 10 hours the only thing i had to eat was that 1 poptart.

with this baby, i fully intend to eat whatever i want, whenever i want it, assuming i can keep it down. if that means eating bacon + eggs after i've just handled transition... i'll do it. i believe my body will know what it needs ~ and i also believe nobody else can make that judgement call besides myself. i know my body better than anyone else... kwim?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I usually suggest eating miso soup, yogurts, and some other things on that list too- also eating lightly is because digestion grinds to a halt during on set of labor and mothers with a very full bellly can become very uncomfortable, puke, hiccups, gas, acid, etc. But I also encourage mothers to keep up light foods throughout labor ( I do mainly out of hospital births) and if mama wants curry, I may warn her, but I will still get it for her

·
Banned
254 Posts
i was so not hungry when i labored at home... i think in the three days it was occuring, I ate graham crackers, drank juice and had a few salads and milk shakes. but once i got to the pushing stage... man could i have gone for a cheeseburger
: and i HATE meat!!! :LOL fortunately i only pushed for about 30 mins so i didn't haveto wait long, but I can't image being "starved" for hours if I had to push for much longer

i think the no food rule is bs... along with a lot of the other hospital rules, it is for staff convenience, not for the benefit of the mother.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I guess I got a halfway decent hospital then. My nurse was actually encouraging me to eat, to keep my strength up. She wanted me to only drink water, but that makes sense to me to stay hydrated, but seriously, she was ordering tuna sandwiches and stuff for me.
My labor was about 16 hours total, about 9 of them in the hospital, so it's not like I was in labor for days or anything either.
I agree women should be able to eat at any point during labor, and they should get whatever they feel they can keep down.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
"Well, I was being facetious.
I don't really think my midwives are dumb, and I am inclined to believe that they know what they're talking about on this one."

Yes, I understood and that was what I was responding to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts