Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's a recipe I found. If I need to delete it, let me know.
Q: what does it mean at the end to boil/seal? I suppose I need to go buy a box of the jelly jars w/the 2 part lids? Do I need paraffin or does the boiling seal it so I can leave in the pantry rather than fridge?

Fireweed Jelly Recipe
This jelly recipe imparts a nice distinctive flavor for those peanut butter sandwiches or steaming stack of hot cakes.

Ingredients:
8 cups fireweed blossoms (no stems)
1/4 cup lemon juice
4-1/2 cups water
2 packages Sure-Jell (Or other powdered pectin)
5 cups sugar

Directions:
Pick, wash, and measure 8 cups of fireweed blossoms (flower part only!!)

Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4-1/2 cups water. Boil 10 minutes and strain. Take the strained juice and heat to lukewarm. Add 2 pkgs Sure Jell (or other powdered pectin) and bring to boil. Add 5 cups sugar and bring to full boil.

Boil hard for 1 minute. Pour into hot clean jars and seal.

Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BusyMommy
Okay, here's a recipe I found. If I need to delete it, let me know.
Q: what does it mean at the end to boil/seal? I suppose I need to go buy a box of the jelly jars w/the 2 part lids? Do I need paraffin or does the boiling seal it so I can leave in the pantry rather than fridge?
Yes, Use the 2 part lids.
After you fill the hot, sterilized jars with jam, wipe rims, and put on lid-only tightening gently-not full force.
Put filled jars on a rack inside a large pot of water-cover with 1 inch water-raise heat to light boiling-cover pot with lid-start the timer when it gently boils, for 10 min.
Carefully remove with jar remover and place away from drafts on a kitchen towel and let sit there for 24 hrs.
You will here the lids 'pop' as they seal.
you don't need paraffin.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I love making canned stuff. Its a summer ritual here in preparation for Xmas as well.

We picked 10 lbs of wild blackberries yesterday.
I've already made blackberry jam and ketchup. We also picked strawberries and blueberries and I made jam with those. I love seeing my Hoosier cabinet full!

Your recipe sounds interesting! I made a kudzu blossom jelly one year.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
we have lots of fireweed, but it grows along the railroad tracks and is very dirty/polluted!
wow lunchbox-blackberries already? ours won't be ripe until end of july/aug. love that stuff! like sunshine in a jar!
i'd love your ketchup recipe...

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet you could go hiking somewhere and collect some fresh fireweed. Worth a try!

T Ya know, everyday I see carloads of people parked on the edge of the highway collecting mushrooms and other wild veggies. Man, those things must be carcinogenic. :puke

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Fireweed Jelly

So, I went and picked bare all the fireweed in my yard. I only had enough to do one pint jar and a baby food jar. It was kinda relaxing sharing the space with the bees as I picked all their food! It turned out pretty good I think, It smelled awesome, and it tasted great. sweet and tangy!

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
If you want to live dangerously (sort of) you can skip boiling the jars by 1)making sure the jars are good and hot when you ladle the jam in (I always run mine through the dishwasher to sterilize them and then leave them on the "hot dry" cycle as I"m making the jam so they're hot when I'm ready) and 2) then instead of boiling just screw the lids/bands on and turn the jars upside down for about half an hour and then turn rightside up again. The cooling lids create their own vacuum and seal. The extension service doesn't endorse this and I wouldn't use it on anything but jam (it's got such a high sugar content that it's pretty darn bacteriocidal on its own) but one of the pectin companies felt confident enough about this method to print it in their instructions.

I made about 30 jars of strawberry jam last month; now the blueberries are coming on; gotta get out there and pick!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts