Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a bunch of playsilks from Dharma and I have to dye them. I want something easy and that won't fade when I wash them. Oh and I am not crafty and I do not know anything about dyes.

thanks for any info!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This would be a bit of a PITA since it would entail ordering from Dharma again, but you could try their fiber-reactive dyes. They have a wide range of colors, the prices are reasonable, and once the dyes have set, they're colorfast. And they're good for all kinds of dyeing, from basic vat dyeing to low water immersion, tie dyeing, batiking, etc. If you don't feel like waiting for another order, you could always get a Rainbow Rock dye kit at your local Walmart. I've never tried Rainbow Rock, but I know a lot of ppl on mdc have, and they seem to have gotten good results.

HTH!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelovedK
My friend just used Rit dye and they turned out great
I think we need to start a RIT-A group(that's RIT Anonymous)! It is a horrible dye that will fade, if not sooner than later. And running can be a huge issue. Union Dyes(class of dyes that RIT is) have a place I suppose but not when there are much better options out there.

So kool aide is an option but I will always recommend fiber reactive as an easy and satisfying option. If you want to try your hand at it before ordering on line, do as Jaye suggested and pick-up a kit at Michaels or Joanns. There are a few brands out there. Rainbow rocks is an option, but I would suggest Jacquards tie-dye kits, only because I am familiar with their dyes.

Kathy

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use dharma dyes because I can buy them cheap and in bulk but if money were no option, I would buy jacquard... their colors are so beautiful and they disolve so much better...

oh, yeah, and DON'T USE RIT!!

we need a no rit faq, too

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selena
I use dharma dyes because I can buy them cheap and in bulk but if money were no option, I would buy jacquard... their colors are so beautiful and they disolve so much better...

Actually Dharma's MX dyes are Jacquard dyes. Dharma has the basic Jacquard line 40 or so colors but builds upon it by custom mixing those Jacquard colors to create new ones

Quote:
oh, yeah, and DON'T USE RIT!!

we need a no rit faq, too
I'm down with it!

Oh...and http://thaisilks.com/ is my source for silk blanks. Well, it is the retail side of Exotic Silks who I get my blanks from.

Kathy

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dharma uses jacquard colors? I haven't found the colors to work true... I bought dharma bright green hoping for it to be like jacquard bright green and its not... same with the deep purple... maybe I just got "off" dye lots? hmmm... makes ya think.

Thaisilks/exotic silks are wonderful for silk blanks, EXCELLENT prices, especially wholesale, but I buy from dharma because I usually sell more clothes than silks, they are an afterthought

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Selena,
Have you tried Prochemicals line of MX dyes. Great quality and huge selction. Similar to Dharma they buy base colors from another dye producer(can't think of who) and then build upon those colors.

Heres a link to some info on it.

I also wonder if Dharma labeled the bright green as their kelly green. If we could find the %owg for both I could tell ya...but anyways

Kathy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts