Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about dyed prefolds -- I imagine they are SOOO much prettier (although I don't mind the plain jane ones). Where can I get some of these dyed, though? And how much does it cost?

I've also read about using koolaid to dye -- how does this work? How does it set so that it doesn't bleed???

You dyed-prefold lovers.... convince me that its worth the time and effort!!!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
you can dye unbleached prefolds.

we opted to try and dye our prefolds ourselves since we already had them. they don't look nearly as great as some of the tye dye dreams prefolds, but they look pretty nice once they are all snappi'd on.

does the $4 include shipping back to you, etc?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have Unbleached prefolds that are 3 years old. I dyed them and hubby was even iump-ressed. I ju7st used dye I bought at Joanns, I am ordring some dharma dyes to dye everything else in my house. I think it is totally worth the effort., I am getting ready to put all my infant PFs on the TP and will be using my premiums only. I think next tiem I have a baby, I will dye all the infant on color ( or shades of one color) and then the premiums a different color. That should make it a bit easier for hubby. they whole green thread, blue thread seems too confusing for him at times LOL

So IO htink it is worth the time and effort. I got my kids involved, stripped them naked, and did it in the backyard. Sooo much fun.

Good luck and hgave fun

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Yeah, kool-aid only works with natural (animal-type) fibers like wool and silk.

Are you thinking of tie-dyed or solid-dyed? Anyway, it costs more to dye prefolds you already have than to just buy new dyed ones.

If you send them to someone, add up the cost of shipping to and from, the cost of dyes, and the cost of their services.

If you decide to do it yourself, Dharma Trading is the most popular site (at least around here) to buy all the supplies, but it usually costs a nice chunk of money to get everything you need and to ship it.

At least that's been my experience, so I just went and bought a few rainbows of dyed prefolds from Sunflower Derrieres. She ships pretty fast, is really nice, has quantity and MDC discounts, and my prefolds that are over a year old haven't lost much color (just a smidge because I go nuts line-drying everything when it's nice out).

Lanna

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
If you send them to someone, add up the cost of shipping to and from, the cost of dyes, and the cost of their services.
this is so true.
I know I cannot mix used and new in dye lots for sanitary reasons.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts