Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is slightly allergic to wool. It makes her itch & gives her a rash. I found a jumper in a thrift shop that was 80% silk & 20% cotton. It looks like it is black with white speckles. dd is only 2 so I don't think that colour combination would look real good so I will need to redye it. As it is cotton/silk, I can use procion dyes. My plan is to redye the jumper & then unravel it.<br><br>
The problem is the black bits. I doubt they'll overdye fully. I've tried dyeing stuff black before & it has never worked. I've looked into dye striping stuff but that makes it so expensive I may as well have brought new yarn. Any ideas what colour would look good with a black speckle ? On a 2 year old. It's more of a navy blue black, not a black black. I have a hot pink dye so I could hope for hot pink / deep purple. Maybe I should just do a test patch?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
well, teh problem with silk/cotton blends is that the two fibers use differnet dye methods. Silk is a protein fieber, so it needs an acid to properly dye. Cotton is a plant fiber so it needs a basic solution to dye (soda ash + fiber reactive dye is the most common method.) So, what generally winds up happening is you wind up with a sort of *splotchy* yarn becuase whichever method you choose won't properly dye one half the yarn.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Y aknow, I've been thinking more about this, adn I'll bet the little black bits are the silk, and the core of the yarn is a cotton. If that's the case, then the fiber reactive would be the way to go, becuase the black won't dye anyway no matter what, LOL!<br><br>
If it's a true 50/50 silk cotton blend, then neither will work better; the acid would dye the silk great and the cotton jsut so-so. The fiber reactive would dye the cotton great but the silk just so-so, kwim? the two fibers need different environments to actually have the chemical reaction. But I'm thinking that's not the case, becuase from the way you'r describing it it sounds like it's not perfectly blended and generally in blends the slubs are the silk becuase it's cheaper to do it that way and easier.<br><br>
So, my best bet is that the silk is the black nubs, and you should go with the fiber reactive.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LoL! I just got back from dyeing it. I looked at it & thought "I bet the black bits are silk" too. I used a fibre reactive hot pink. It's come out a pastel pink coz I didn't soak it for long. I'm going to put it in fuchsia overnight I think

1 - 5 of 5 Posts