Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dyed a wool cover earlier w/red koolaid, then set it w/vinegar. then i rinsed and rinsed and rinsed it, and there is nothing bleeding off of it. but, the color isnt very vibrant....how do you guys do this? how do i make the color bolder? (is that a word?) i only used on pack of koolaid, cherry flavored. should i use black cherry? any thoughts??????<br><br>
also===can you dye ME Sandy's?? if so, with what??<br><br><br>
elise

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
instead of 1 part kool aid and 1 part water use 2 parts kool aid and 1 part water, that should make it twice as rich than it is now.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I ended up with two very vibrant covers...I used this recipe:<br><br>
In a glass baking dish, soak item in water with a generous splash of vinegar for 30-45 minutes. Use just enough liquid to cover. Drain excess liquid.<br><br>
Mix one packet of Kool-Aid to 1/2 cup of water. Add about a tablespoon of vinegar.<br><br>
Pour over soaker.<br><br>
Microwave for two minutes. Rest for two minutes. Microwave for two minutes.<br><br>
Let cool, then rinse with water the same temperature as the soaker.<br><br>
Wash with Euculan.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
also what color are you trying to achieve? I just dyed a soaker with a black cherry lemonade mix and got a very beautiful coral/pink

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Whenever I Kool-Aid dye I use several packages of Kool-Aid - usually 4 or 5 for a really pretty, vibrant color!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check the info in the "resources" section.<br><br>
I make soakers and I wash them, soak in warm water with a glug of vinegar, then squeeze out excess liquid, you have to soak in vinegar before dying to set it. Dilute 1 packet color in 1/4 cup warm water for every ounce of wool. Eg, my soaker weighs approx 4 ounces so I have 4 packets color in one cup water. Add this to the wool and work in. Zap in microwave for 2 minutes, let rest for 2 minutes, zap again for another two minutes. Let cool to tepid then rinse, rinse and rinse to make sure all the dye is gone. Then lanolize.<br><br>
The more packets of color you add the stronger the color will be. Let me know if you want some pics of other colors, but here's what my cherry color turned out like...<br><br><a href="http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/susanjp/knitted%20soakers/cherrysoaker.jpg" target="_blank">http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/...errysoaker.jpg</a><br><br>
HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts