Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There are a variety of ways to dye roving but the best way in terms of getting the color you think you are dyeing for(ha ha I made a punny!) is to you acid dyes. You can use a fiber reactive dye and set it with an acid as opposed to soda ash but FR dyes tend to have a color shift and seperation on protien fibers. You can also use kool aid as an acid dye, they're easy to use but you have less control over color than you would with a manufactured acid dye like Prochemical's Washfast acid dyes.

Some great links include Gleason's Fine Woolies, Paula Burch's site, and the Itiedye.com

Another source that is very informative about using natural dyes is Aurora silk

Hope this helps!

Kathy

BTW-this is my 1000 post, how fitting it has to do with dyeing

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im checking out the links now

gosh I lucked out its like having my own ***** (five star) dye pro on call! a personal dye trainer

thanks again, kiwi

ps congrats on your 1000 post!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kathy, also...
I just visited the link in your siggy...looks like you do beautiful silks!!

I recently bought my first set of playsilks (not from you) but they are not colour fast at all! the red one somehow ended up in the bathtub with the kids and it turned all the water red.

so, seems like a dumb question but...can dyed silks be colour fast?...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.