Mothering Forum banner

E.I. visits and the other children in your home

479 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  OMama 
#1 ·
My son is 19mo and has a severe language delay and sensory issues. He has an SLP come out once a week and an OT come out twice a month. They usually co-treat but occasionally schedules conflict so we have two visits a week.

My question is what do you do with your other children? Dd is almost 4 and has been watching videos in my bedroom when they are here. If she's out with us, she tries to steal the spotlight and it becomes to much for me. If it works out for my mom's schedule she'll come and get her and take her somewhere but that can't happen every week (I really wish it could though!)

Thanks!

#2 ·
We now have PT come to the house (or we meet at the playground or McDonalds Playland). My son is 4 1/2 and yes it can be a problem.
I have to be pretty stern with him to go play while his sister is getting PT. The baby usually sleeps or plays.

#3 ·
Mark got in-home services twice weekly for 7 months and if my older child was at home, that was more disruptive than the baby I cared for AND my own baby together in the house during therapies. I would give Tim chores to do, a movie to watch or have him play outside, read a chapter in a new book, etc. For the play therapist though, it was sometimes useful to have him interacting with them as well, so he often joined in for a few minutes. The therapists and I learned quickly that if he got a few minutes to check things out, he eventually wandered off and didn't come back into the therapy environment until it was about over anyway. So I wonder if you could figure out how to incorporate your other child somehow without minimizing the benefits for the targetted child.

#4 ·
Connor's therapists are very good at including Ian when possible. We really make sure that he feels like he's important, too. But at first it was really hard for him, there were plenty of times that I literally dragged him to his room because he was trying to "steal the show". I would do my best to explain to him that it's Connor's teacher, and that the teacher would bring special toys for Ian, but that mommy needed to talk to the teacher.

We also decided to allow Ian to play a video game ONLY when Connor's teachers came, so it became a treat of sorts. It was up to him if he wanted to do the activity they had that day, or play his game. It took a few weeks, but he eventually got into the swing of things. We learned not to schedule more than one therapy or dr appointment in one day if possible because it was just too much for Ian to handle.

#5 ·
Our EI therapists always included the sibling. I think including siblings is actually part of the EI "natural environment" philosophy. I have to admit that I have twins, so I'm sure it was easier. I'd be inclined to talk to the therapist directly about including the sibling in the play/therapy.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post
Our EI therapists always included the sibling. I think including siblings is actually part of the EI "natural environment" philosophy. I have to admit that I have twins, so I'm sure it was easier. I'd be inclined to talk to the therapist directly about including the sibling in the play/therapy.

This is what we were told too. I mean basically EI is to show you how to work with your child and you're always with your child and sibling. And in our case Caleb is just as likely to want to be the center of attention with me when I tried to work with Andrew as he was with a therapist. When we could I had grandma come over for therapy though it wasn't that often. My boys are twins too, though, so maybe they just tell the multiples moms that!

A lot of times I tried "whatever it was" with Caleb while the therapist did the same with Andrew (or vice versa) which was helpful in that I knew if I was or wasn't doing it right. I guess, though, that was particularly true in stuff like PT. I remember OT and speech just incorporating him.

#7 ·
I ran into this with my middle child. I found DS2 worked best if I was not directly in the room with them so I often would go into the kitchen with the older and do an art project while he was in the playroom or he and the therapist would play on the deck. The therapist would go over at the end a summary of stuff they did and what we could do so between that and what I was over hearing, I did quite well. It probably should also be noted that I knew the therapist quite well from when my older two were in EI so I felt comfy letting them sort of "be by themselves"

After a while, DS1 and DD started preschool so I made a special request that we have EI while they were in school.

#8 ·
Our therapists are good with the other kids, but 95% of the time I relocate them. I can't concentrate on hearing the instructions and learning the techniques with the other kids asking questions, crawling over me, etc. We have quiet time every day. If the visit is in the afternoon, I hold quiet time off until the therapist comes. DS1 takes a nap, and DD watches a video in her room and plays quietly. It works well cause quiet time is enforced every day - I need my breather. Occasionally if the visit is more toward lunch time, I have the kids at the table eating lunch.

#9 ·
We have certainly struggled with this one as well. I wish it were easier, but it isn't. DD who is just about 4.5 is really "wild" and it doesn't usually work for her to play with Finn while therapy is happening. Too much "show stealing" and even agressive behavior. The therapist is very patient and does try to include her when she can, but we have had limited success with this.

So, DD gets to watch a movie or play Noggin on the computer. This is the only time she gets to use the computer, so it is somewhat special and seems to work out okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.