Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Colorado NOCIRC to all concerned citizens in Colorado:<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">Hi everyone,<br><br>
I’d like to ask that each of you send a quick e-mail to your legislators asking for support of the Larson amendment. I just sent e-mails to my 2 legislators (see below)<br><br>
For those of you who haven’t been too closely involved, Rep Larson’s amendment to end Medicaid funding of newborn circumcision will be voted on NEXT WEEK! We need to send messages to the legislature this week so that they know people are watching and that people care!<br><br>
Many of you should have received your form letter packets by today (or tomorrow). Those packets contain your legislators’ names and e-mail addresses. I’m going to attach the text of the form letter in Word format, so that you can copy and paste it if you don’t have enough time to write an e-mail of your own composition.<br><br>
I’m also including the voting records from last session (there are 2 tabs in the attached Excel file, one for the house, one for the senate), so if your legislators voted in favor of defunding circ last year, you can thank them for their support, and ask that they support it again this year. Note that there were 2 amendments in the House last year, if they voted for either one, thank them for the support they gave last year.<br><br>
Then in addition to your e-mail, also sign and send in the form letters you received in your packet. There’s nothing wrong with contacting your legislators more than once!<br><br>
(of course, always include your mailing address in e-mails, or any correspondence, with your legislators)<br><br>
Craig Garrett<br><br>
craiggarrett at yahoo.com<br><br>
********************************************<br><br>
Dear Representative ___,<br><br>
Last year, you voted in favor of Representative Schultheis’ budget amendment to end the wasteful spending in Medicaid with regard to medically unnecessary newborn circumcision. Thank you very much for your support of that effort.<br><br>
I am writing to ask you to support Representative Mark Larson this year with a similar effort. Representative Larson is going to submit a budget amendment to end Medicaid funding of medically unnecessary circumcisions and use the money to increase funding to the Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP). Representative Larson expects that the amendment will reutilize at least $250,000 per year to help Colorado’s poor by bolstering a key area in our state’s health care safety net.<br><br>
I hope this will be the year that we curb this wasteful spending and use the money to do something beneficial for Colorado’s poor. If you have any questions at all, please contact me. I’d be happy to provide you with any additional information you might need to help you make your decision.<br><br>
Sincerely,<br><br>
Your Name<br>
Your Address<br>
Your Phone<br>
Your Email Addy<br><br><br>
********************************************<br><br>
Dear Senator ___,<br><br>
Please support Representative Mark Larson’s budget amendment to increase funding to the Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP) by ending wasteful Medicaid spending on medically unnecessary circumcisions.<br><br>
The CICP helps provide vital medical care to people who have little or no health insurance. This drastically underfunded area is a crucial gap in our state’s health care safety net. Representative Larson’s amendment will help keep hospital doors open for the medically indigent.<br><br>
Newborn circumcision, on the other hand, is not medically necessary, doesn’t improve hygiene, and is on the decline in America. It’s an outdated practice that isn’t recommended by any medical organization in the world. Medicaid should not waste our scarce health care funds on a procedure that lacks medical endorsement while real needs go unmet.<br><br>
Why are we squandering precious Colorado money on unnecessary circumcisions while some of our state’s uninsured poor still have nowhere to go for vital medical care?<br><br>
I hope this will be the year that we curb this wasteful spending and use the money to do something beneficial for Colorado’s poor. If you have any questions at all, please contact me. I’d be happy to provide you with any additional information you might need to help you make your decision.<br><br>
Sincerely,<br><br>
Your Name<br>
Your Address<br>
Your Phone<br>
Your Email Addy<br></td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Okay, so I know you don't have the voting records, but if you contact Craig, he will tell you who your representative and senator are, how to get in touch with them, and what their voting record was on this last year.<br><br>
Please help out and contact your legislators.<br><br>
Thanks everyone!<br>
-Lindsay

1 - 1 of 1 Posts