Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lordy, ever since about a week before my 20 weeks scan I have been becoming increasingly emotional and, I hate to say, a little neurotic!

I totally just start tearing up just thinking about all kinds of things. I don't usually cry, for example, at the news, because it usually feels pretty far removed from me.

I got super upset the other day when my dog jumped into the chicken coop while I was letting the chickens out because he threw up a ton of dust into the air. Convinced myself I had gotten toxoplasmosis. Then I was pulling in the laundry from the line last night and a bird flew out of a pair of my pants, and I convinced myself it was a bat and that I'd been bitten and now have rabies. Both nature incidents were followed by intense googling until I could talk myself down from the ledge (if anyone's wondering, toxoplasmosis is only carried in cat poo, not chicken poo, and the likelihood that (a) it was a bat in my pants and (b) it was rabid and (c) it bit me and I didn't know it appears to be highly unlikely).

I just feel like I have taken on this huge responsibility of trying to grow and keep alive this other human and I'm scared my typical flippancy about foods and safety could now do harm to something so tiny and innocent. It's kinda overwhelming, especially because I'm sort of an irresponsible type of person normally.

Oh and very distressed the other night because I felt like SO was being dismissive and condescending when I was trying to tell him about my birth plan thus far. This particular moment of distress might actually have been justified - only time will tell - but I think I should give him the benefit of the doubt for awhile longer...

I was feeling so good about my emotional state during the first trimester and now it just seems to be going haywire!

·
Registered
280 Posts
For me it's like the layer of control between my emotions and the surface is paper-thin. I have to be careful at work not to get into any kind of really frustrating/stressful/sad mindset because I canNOT control my tears these days. Sometimes I'm talking to SO and the tears just start flowing and I'm like, "I'm not even sure why I'm crying, I really don't want to right now, so please don't put too much stock into this..."

I guess it comes with the territory. :) But I think we probably all feel your pain!http://www.mothering.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it's any consolation- the trauma of your 'bat in the pants' scenario had me laughing hysterically. I completely relate to you though in being a 'careless' (I usually think 'low matinence') kind of person. I'm also experiencing this odd internal alarm that seems to be signaling hyper vigilance. I ride a bike everywhere and lately half-way through my ride I get really freaked out from nowhere that I'm going to get hit... (Actually lately the fantasy is that somewhere I'm going to have a lapse in special perception & I'm going to ram my belly into the rear-view mirror of a parked car....I think in reality this is an improbable as your bat in the pants scenario.)

As goes the emotions....whew...my first trimester I felt like I had an IV tap of Xanax constantly in my system. I felt super-extra calm and blissed out. Now I'm feeling more 'normal'...more anxious...I've had major issues in the past with anger control & depression...the worst part of depression for me has always been that there is no 'cause' for it. At least now I know that when I'm crying over my bf not sharing that grilled cheese with me it's because of pregnancy/hormones. Really, our bodies are doing some wild shit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts