Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter will be going to a class at the early childhood center a few mornings a week starting in the fall. Part of the permission slip form includes permission to ride in the van in an E-Z-On Adjustable vest. Yes/No

I know from the handbook that children either ride in the vest or in a parent-provided carseat, so I'm assuming that if I check "no" I'll be asked to provide a carseat.

Not knowing what the vest is, I decided to look it up and see what the weight guidelines are, etc. (To find out if my daughter even would qualify for it.)

I found a bunch of sites with this brand of vest. There are two models here. They are adjustable and fit ages 2 through adult, 20-168 lbs. The smallest sizes have sewn crotch straps that meet NHTSA guidelines, and the vests meet all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of vest, (most likely in vans carrying groups of pre-school children.)

My daughter is right around 25 pounds and fairly slim. She's not tiny (she's tall) but definitely not a chunk. My first thought was to provide a carseat, but I thought I'd look into the safety vest to SEE what it was first and to see the intended ages, before making a decision. I'm assuming that someone on the staff would be installing and uninstalling the carseat each time. (They take a swimming trip every other week, and probably not a lot of "field trips" other than that.)

Extra Info: We have her rear-facing in her carseat, but I don't think she'd bat an eye about being forward-facing in a vest on a trip like that in the school van every so often. It's not like she'd stage a revolt and demand no more rear-facing--it just would be different expectations, I think. (We had a similar experience with a carseat while traveling, with no problems switching back to rear-facing.)

Anyway, just wondering about the vests and looking for some feedback that I might weigh in while making a decision. I don't want to automatically rule something out that might be completely satisfactory, though I'm glad that the center respects the parents' right to choose and to provide something they are comfortable with.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
These are very safe and something we reccomend sometimes when an older child still needs to be harnessed or there isn't enough room for carseats etc. I'm assuming since they have them, they have the tether system and everything hooked up in the vans for the children. I think you've decided on a great place to send her to school if this is how they take care of their kids!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.