Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone live there or know someone that does?

We are thinking of buying a home out there and we're wondering how it is. I'm trying to get a hold of the HOA (Quality Management) to see if we could have fruit trees and a garden, etc but they aren't answering their phone and the message box is full (always a good sign).

The house looks great and there are a lot of them for sale out there - mostly short sales.

So...anyone have any input?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have lived in EM for 1 1/2 years, but are now renting out our home. My husband and I both absolutely loved it out there and would move back in a heartbeat. We are probably going to move back once our work situation stabilizes, actually. It's relatively rural, extremely quiet and very family oriented. Lots of kids. I mean A LOT. It's not unusual to see kids playing outside in groups on every street corner. The city itself is actually pretty tolerant of many things. Most HOA do allow fruit trees, gardens, etc. The HOAs are not very strict on many things, and many do not care what you do in your backyard as long as it's legal. They are legalizing chickens there pretty soon as well, if you're into that sort of thing. All of the utilities go through the city, so it's nice that way. Our HOA was with quality managment and they were hard to get a hold of. The only upside was the HOA was cheap (only like $15/mo), they aren't extremely picky and if you do have to ask them a Q it's just a mile up the road to their office. You can have up to 4 dogs per home and everything is easy to check on at city hall.

There are two different parts to the city - the Ranches, which is more suburban. And City Center, which is actually in the Cedar Valley and is more rural. The homes in City Center are cheaper than the Ranches, but pay more on garbage services (like $20 more a month). Just down from the city (about 7 miles) is a gigantic shopping center with a Smiths grocery store, a brand new (and probably the nicest I've ever seen) Walmart, dollar store, dry cleaners, walgreens, etc. The downside to living there is the roads. The main road into and out of EM is SR-73, which gets very busy. They are widening it right now, which can be a headache because of traffic delays. In the winter it isn't unusual to have bad weather along that part of the road going into the city and can be dangerous. The town has been snowed in a couple of times in the past 10 years for a couple of days when big winter storms come in. The wind storms can be brutal in the fall/winter/spring. It's knocked down our fencing once.

Overall, I think the positives outweigh the negatives to the city. When you're out there it feels like you're in another world. Very serene, quiet and peaceful. It's about a 45 minute drive to SLC and about 30 to Provo/Orem area by Pioneer Crossing. Some people absolutely love it, like we did. And others think it's the worst place in the world. If you're not LDS it could be awkward living in the town, since something like 98% of the city is LDS. Lots of military families live there as well.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. I can probably answer them. :)

- Natalie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Natalie did a great job of telling you about Eagle Mountain. We have lived out here for just over a year. We love it. I have 4 kids (almost 5 in Oct). I homeschool and am a Hypnobabies Instructor, labor doula etc. If you have any other questions, just let me know. I would be happy to help out!!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Oh, man! I live in nearby Lehi and I am baffled by people living clear out there! Lol! Unless you work from home or something, It's a commute to go anywhere. Especially if you live in city center! That place is almost creepy... like this weirdo suburb in the middle of nowhere. It's completely bizzare. The Cedar Valley is beautiful, though... so I guess there's that. I guess the homes are more affordable, but I swear it can't be that good of a deal when you factor in how much gas you'll burn just getting home. The new highways through Lehi will make access better, but I don't know if I could get over what would still be a 15-20 min drive just to get to the freeway.

DH will be getting his teaching license and the only way we'd consider living out there is if he taught out there, and we'd only consider living in Saratoga Springs or maaaaybe the Ranches portion of EM. We have high hopes of urban homesteading so restrictive HOAs are a big turn off. There is a family that has a blog on backyard farming that I follow. She lives in the Ranches (north side across the highway). Probably she doesn't live in an HOA area, though. I was driving around out there last weekend and saw lots of gardens. Seems like most HOAs around here allow them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Natalie for your descriptive reply! We actually bid on a house out there in City Center and someone beat us to it. After driving out there to look at the houses I told my husband the only way I'd drive out there is if there was considerable property to go with the house. It took us like an hour to get out there from Sandy and my husband sometimes works in Ogden or Brigham City. Whew.

So I think we are done out there unless another house with a big yard comes up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.