Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 month old has had a runny nose (slight cold) for almost 2 weeks now. It didn't seem to affect him too much personality wise, just a little more clingy, and nursing more at night.

We are breastfeeding, don't eat dairy or other foods he's intolerant to.

In the last few days his runny nose has become much thicker, and sometimes is a little yellow, but he sounds more "stuffed up"

HE doesn't have a fever (I'm checking a few times a day) and he doesn't have a cough. Doesn't seem to be teething (actually he's drooling less) He's been spitting up a little more though.

We're doing lot's of BM up the nose, steamy showers etc. to keep things loose.

Just yesterday he started fiddling (and sometimes digging) with his left ear. He doesn't complain while he's doing it, and it's not all the time, and sometimes it's to pull the hair behind it.

It's the first time he's ever "discovered" his ears, and if it wasn't near the end of the cold than I probably wouldn't worry.

I do have an appt with the naturopath tomorrow.

Should I put breastmilk in his anyway? (I'm nervous about putting things in there!)

Does this sound like an EI?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well.....good thing I made the appt.
He has his first EI...poor guy. He was definitely in more pain this morning.

Our plan includes:
onion poultice
garlic ear drops (he already smells like garlic bread!!)
camilia drops
lot's of love & snuggles!!

So the cold is what did it, since we have no other "risk factors"

Hope no one else gets one of these!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
My ds just came down with his first ear infection after a cold, and I have been putting garlic mullein ear oil drops in his ears twice a day now for 4 days. Seems to really have helped as he is not tugging at his ears and crying when he eats now. Peds gave us a script for antibiotics, but I didn't want to give them unless it was a last resort. I didn't tell the ped that though....
Just curious about the remedies you mentioned....what is onion poultice and camilia drops, and how have these remedies worked so far?
Also what garlic drops are you using?
TIA!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nak

Onion poultice 2x a day or more
- cut an onion in half (peeled)
- put it cut side down in a pan with just enough water to cover a little of the onion (like a cm or less)
- boil the onion/water for a couple of minutes (long enough that it will release steam/vapours)
- hold the steamy onion as close to you little ones ear as possible - not touching since it's hot! (the way I do this to ensure it doesn't touch his ear is: sit behind him while he's playing, and hold it so he can't see it. You can also do this while he/she is sleeping if they're too mobile)
The vapours help loosen the congestion (recommended by my naturopath)

Garlic ear drops are probable the same as you are using (our ND gave them to us). We are doing a couple of drops 4x a day.

The camilia drops are actually the teething drops. I found when it was at it's worst and he was in the screaming/crying stage, those helped a lot.

He's still poking at them occasionally, but not as fussy, and his sleep was better last night than the night before.
Our ND said to give it a week, so we'll go back later in the week to check.

Hope you little guy is doing well!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.