Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Health & Healing forum and got no response so I'm going to post it here (with some updates) and hope for better.

My 8 1/2 mo DD has her first ear infection ever. Both ears got infected plus she had a fever and was in significant pain. The dr wrote me prescriptions for abx & ear drops, & dosing guidelines for tylenol. I went ahead & filled the prescription for abx (amoxicillin) because she did fit the guidelines for a serious ear infection, & I was afraid her eardrums would burst leading to hearing damage. (I know someone's kid IRL that this happened to.)

Well, the abx gave her bloody diarrhea
I know I should've known better than to resort to abx first off. Ped agreed we should stop abx & just "wait & see." I stopped by my local whole foods store on the way home & am now bewildered.
: Oil-based herbal ear drops... homeopathics... herbal tincture given orally... what do you all prefer and how have those choices worked for you?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
our ped won't prescribe antibiotics for ear infections unless the symptoms haven't gone away in a reasonable amount of time. Most ear infections are viral and won't respond to abx.

what I did the only time my oldest DD had an ear infection was to squirt a little breastmilk in her ear. Worked great. I have also used breastmilk to treat my own ear infection with great success.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My DS#2 just got over an ear infection (actually is still getting over it), and I was actually perusing through the posts to find the one I started to let the responders know what ended up working for us. I talked to many people about it, and read up, since this was our first, too.

In general, I've learned that the oil (which you can make at home, BTW) and breastmilk should be used just for ear aches. A friend of mine had a full-on infection and she said the breastmilk in her ear hurt like no other! She said it felt like it was rupturing right then...

We used the homeopathic remedy of Pulsatilla (Hylands has a 6c, which is a really low potency, so you give it every 15 min. for an hour, then lesen the frequency to half hours, hours, to only 3 or 4 times a day). This worked awesome. My book on homeopathy said that this was for the child whose ear infection also made them super clingy (my DS!). I know there are several other remedies appropriate for ear infections, but you can call a homeopathist or read a book (our health food store has a little shelf of books right in the health section and they are happy to help you find the answers) on homepathic remedies to find the one right for your DC.

Also, it usually just goes away by itself. It takes a little time, and it really SUCKS in the meanwhile, but it will go away.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have lots of info on ear infections. pm me and I will send it to you!! poor little thing...we have dealth with this too...in fact...I wonder if dd doesn't have one now...about the same time the first two started getting them.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts