Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there ways to treat ear infections without antibiotics?

My poor daughter has been suffering from 1 that just won't go away. she is on antibiotics and I hate it! but they don't even seem to be working...

Any suggestions? Her ped. wants to put tubes in (after her 1st infection) and I'm against that at this time. I'm in the process of finding a new ped.

Thanks in Advance ladies

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You could try an Herbal Ear Oil containing Mullein, St John's Wort and Calendula. Chamomile tea as a warm compress and for her to drink the rest.
Get her good flora back with an acidophilus or mulit-probiotic supplement.
Stimulate her immune system with echinacea (echinacea extract 1 drop per 5 lbs of body weight) and vit. C in a supplement b/c citrus fruit can also aggravate the immune system.
Reoccurring ear infections can be caused by a dairy sensitivity or wheat. Dairy does tend to make us more mucusy which would in turn leave dc prone to build up and infections.
I would try eliminating dairy while you are treating her ear infection and dairy can counter react with the antibiotic depending on the one given making it not as effective.

This information was obtain from my herbalist, it was all on the insert for her herbal ear oil. Her website is www.greenbrierherbalist.com

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
We had six months of ear infections and antibiotics off and on over and over. I decided to get us off the antibiotics completely- started using chiropractic 1-2x a week, adding probiotics, echinachia, got off dairy and have gone 15 months without another infection. Now we see the chiropractor if he starts getting the sniffles. My chiropractor said that having your eardrums rupture naturally versus cutting them to add tubes is like cutting for an episiodomy- tearing is natural, heals faster and has less scar tissue. So- even if he got a ear infection again, I would let his body fight it off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just started taking Annalisa to the chiropractor last thursday! I'm hoping it works.

I've only seen acidophilus in a pill form. can I get it in a different form? or do I just open it and sprinkle on her food or in her drink?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annalisasmom
I've only seen acidophilus in a pill form. can I get it in a different form? or do I just open it and sprinkle on her food or in her drink?
I have done that for dd1. But I was advise to only use one pill form a day because it's more than what a child needs.

Also I have found lately a powder form. I need to start using it for dd1.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Nitara has had several ear infections and the mamas here suggested cod liver oill. I have been giving it every other day. She has had 2 colds with NO infections since then. She's on her third cold and has a slight infection but the ped thinks its on its way out and won't require antibiotics.

Hope you find something!

BTW I disagree about letting the ear drum rupture. It might be okay once or twice but it creates scar tissue. A friend of mine let her child's drums rupture over and over throughout her baby and toddlerhood. She was bf for a long time but still got them. Finally they got her hearing tested because she had some speech problems. Turns out all those ear drum ruptures created such scar tissue that her dd is now hearing impaired for life.

Darshani

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.