Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I tried to do a search her for "ear wax" but both are under four letters, so no luck there. I'm have some difficulty on google too. Anyhoo, my child has a lot of ear wax. I know that if it builds up he could get an ear infection, so it makes sense to get it out of there. I tried warm water and hydrogen peroxide which softens it but I just read something that seems to suggest that after softening it, you extract it. I've also got some alcohol-based ear drops here made with carbamide peroxide. It doesn't give a child's dosage and also says that after four days of drops you are supposed to flush the ear if any wax remains. I am confused.<br><br>
What have you all done?<br>
How do you suction it out of a 16 month old?<br><br>
I called my doc about this and they want him to come in. However, I have heard that the way the docs suction can be a wee bit traumatic. I am just trying to avoid any harsh treatment.<br><br>
Any thoughts? TIA<br><br>
Amanda

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
We just had a problem with both my 2 year old and 4 year old with ear wax and ear infections. We got a kit at the pharmacy which you put in a couple of drops of wax softener and then squirt warm water with a bulp syringe - it worked well.<br><br>
I think you can also use warm olive oil as ear drops to soften the wax.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Have you tried ear candling? I am not sure if you are familiar but they are more like a wax cone than a candle. You insert it into the ear canal, create a suction, and lite the other end. The smoke drifts down through the ear canal loosening the ear wax, and as it drifts back up it pulls the wax out through the suction created.<br><br>
To be safe I would try it when he was asleep, unless you have a cooperative and calm baby then you could try it when awake. The reason I saw that is becuase the end of the cone burns. Anyways most health food stores have them. I too have heard the doctors extraction of ear wax is painful. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I did not like the softening drops...I never felt they worked that well. The buld just doesn't provide enough water for irrigation. I had it done at the doctor and did not find it painful (and I was running horrible ear infections at the time.) They used a big big syring or water pic to shoot water in there and a cup to catch it. I liked it actually. The ear loop is also not painful...more like a q-tip with a loop instead of a pad. You can get soft ear loops from the pharmacist...they are soft plastic. I haven't bought them but people here have mentioned them. My babe has had wax in the way during visits that had to be removed in order to see the ear drum, doc just pulled it out of the way with the loop. Being restrained gently by me so she didn't wiggle to much was far more upsetting to her than the removal being painful. It's not like it's shots or bloodwork or something. I also really like ear candling for me but have never tried it with dd.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Hi Amanda!<br><br>
I have friends that do the ear candling too and they say it doesnt hurt at all and works really well. I am going to order some too for my dh. The dr suctions out his ears alot and it NEVER helps.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I've read that excessive ear wax can be helped by taking an essential fatty acid (like flax seed oil).

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Ear wax is not such a bad thing. It keeps the bugs out. I have A LOT of wax it would appear. So much that at my doctor's visit DH was with me and told the doc that he was concearned by the amount in my ear. She said that she was not at all concearned. If it doesn't cause problems leave it alone.<br><br>
However, as a child my ear wax build up caused me problems. My Grandmother always said that Doctor's were witches. She had so many remedies that worked. For ear wax build up she would put warm oil in my ear and a cotton ball. I remember how soothing the warm oil would feel. In the morning I would take out the cotton ball and the wax would be on the cotton ball instead of my ear.<br><br>
She would tell me not to tell the doctor what she did and I wouldn't. Recently I read somewhere and can't remember where that this practice is now advisable to parents.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys. I have a little update. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide worked fairly well because one ear was clear and the other just needed a little bit removed (which she did with an ear loop I think). The doc recommended occasional use of the hydrogen peroxide for maintenance. He also has no ear infection. Thank goodness.<br><br>
I had not heard about EFAs and ear wax -- it seems that those fats help just about everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts