Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since DD got her first cold a couple of weeks ago, Ive been finding ear wax in her outer ear. Should I be concerned about this? It only started happening with the cold, I figured it was because all that stuff is related, but shes not even sniffly anymore. The ear wax ranges from crusty to gooey, is reddish in color. There is never a ton of it, just enough to be noticable. I see it mostly in the morning.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Our last ped. appointment had the doc picking out clumps from ds' inner ear so he could see inside! I just can't keep up with it-and I clean his ears after his baths, and he bathes every day if not every other day! The ped said it's no problem, that it's very common in little ones.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Im glad mine isnt the only baby to be picked over by mom! DD HATES it when I mess with her nose, ever since her cold. But I do feel a certain amount of satisfaction in pulling out a monster booger when shes sleeping. The ear goobers I can get when we are lying down and nursing...fun!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by timneh_mom
My son has tons of ear wax too, always has. I pick his ears when he's nursing too. And, don't even get me started about when he had cradle cap! I was ALWAYS in that stuff back then! LOL
THis made me laugh out loud - DD has just gotten a case of cradle cap, and the other day DH walked in the room to see me picking at it - he was shocked and told me that Id give her some kind of irritation by doing so. She seems alright, but it still bugs him to see this!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabigus
Oh, yay! I'm not alone in my ear pickingness. Sometimes I think I'm a loooot closer to a chimpanzee than I realize.

funny sensation to feel so close to our ancestral past hunh?

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I think earwax is actually suppossed to protect the inner ear
So, using q-tips excssively can actualy harm the ear.I only clean wax when it gets outside the ear.lolOccasionally I'll do a little more cleaning, but dh found out the hard way about that.He was a compulsive ear cleaner and gave himself a nasty ear infection.Then we found out all this stuff. We even did the put - a - flaming - candle - in - your - ear thing!Wouldn't recomend it, it's scary.lol

My ds has always had a ton of earwax, and I don't think he's ever had an ear infection

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
My oldest and youngest have alot of wax. My oldest needs her ears cleaned daily or it affects her hearing. The youngest isn't quite as bad. My middle once could have hers cleaned monthly.lol

Quote:
The ear wax ranges from crusty to gooey, is reddish in color.
This would concern me since it started with her cold. She may have a ear infection or built up fluid.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My sister produces a lot of ear wax and she has small ear canals. She has had her ears flushed with water at a doctors office a few times because it built up in her ears and she was losing hearing from it. The flushing hurt her quite a bit and was very traumatic for her. Turns out that using q-tips to clean her ears was what caused the buildup in the canals. It pushes it back in there. Very bad idea. Now when she wants to do something in addition to just living her life, she uses one of the liquid ear wax removers.

I don't want anyone else to have to go through what she did with the water flushings. Please don't use q-tips on little ears.

·
Registered
339 Posts
no matter how much i clean ds' ears...that wax is always there! those nasty little ears are gonna stay nasty to *hee hee*. i just can't keep up! it doesn't bother him so it doesn't bother me. dh is always fussing at me about it but he'll get over it. if your ears weren't supposed to have wax then i don't think they would have them. i clean his ears with his cloth in the tub...if that doesn't cut it then so be it! i'm a nose picker while nursing to...i also get those fingernails while i'm at it!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My beeb gets a lot of earwax too. and I also like to pick it out whil ehje nurses

I talked with lots of docs and homeopaths about it b/c I was concerned with his "stinky ears" and they said this:
as long as it's not a DARK color (b/c that means it's old and has trouble coming out) it's fine. If it's dark, put a small drop of oil in the ear, that will help it soften up and help it come out.
Also, just using a damp, warm wash cloth and real gentely, using your finger inside it, put it in the ear, not too far in, and give it a little twist, like a Q-tip

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never use q tips on DD.... I too learned the hard way about over use of those things! Havent seen any ear wax since I started this thread, actualy, but I wonder now if it was some kind of problem (infection?) She seems totally fine, but I will bring it up at her well baby at the end of htthe month. Should I go sooner?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.