Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My six year old daughter came down with a fever on Monday night. We've had a pretty nasty long lasting sickness going around the family. But, she started in with an earache which is pretty much a first for us. She was relieved by elevating her head and a warm compress and I gave her some Belladonna. I thought we were doing pretty well. Then the next morning she came into our room and joined us in bed and blood started coming out of her ear. Pretty freaky! I was rather sick myself but we figured out she had a ruptured ear drum. We don't usually see doctors so we just started her on echinacea and goldenseal, vitamin C, and rest.<br><br>
So, the ear has been draining ever since and here we are on Thursday night. The discharge has gotten clearer, which seems good but it is still pinkish. I don't want to jeapordize her hearing or anything and I am considering seeing a doctor. I think at least when we think it may be healed for them to look in there and see. I'm looking for some feedback on how long the draining usually goes on for. Any idea on how goldenseal and regular antibiotics compare in how they would work?<br><br>
Thanks!!<br>
Love,<br>
Leslie

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't have any help for you but thought I'd give you a bump!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Hi Leslie,<br>
I ruptured my eardrum last Tuesday. I think today (9 days later) was really the first day I had no drainage. The pink faded away sometime over the weekend. The pain and ringing are still there, though.<br><br>
I did go see my doctor since I'd never experienced this before. She said it was a pretty good rupture, and that I should give it 2-3 weeks to really close (not heal, just build a thin layer to actually close the opening). I am going back for a hearing check and to make sure it's healing properly next Thursday.<br><br>
I have been taking tons of vitamin C, raw honey and tea, and resting. Also making sure that absolutley nothing gets in my ear (including water).<br><br>
Warm compresses help witht he pain, as well as covering my ear when I am in the cold.<br><br>
Hope that helps!<br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that does help a lot. I've been considering taking her to the doctor today but not so sure if it is the right thing to do... Maybe we should just give it more time. She seems to feel a bit better but then she started feeling like she has to pee all the time. How could she get a UTI now? I hope that isn't so!<br><br>
Love,<br>
Leslie

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Poor baby!<br>
If your doctor is anything like my PA, you'll likely receive a script for antibiotics, which you can, of course, not get filled. The most important thing I was told was to keep the ear dry and clean. Cotton balls might be helpful, or that ear wax used for swimmer's ear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts