Mothering Forum banner

early cereal introduction links to diabetes?

744 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  annalily
"Introducing cereal too early or too late in infancy might
increase the odds of diabetes in children already at risk for the disease, a study suggests....Both studies suggest that starting solid food at the wrong time could overwhelm at-risk infants' immature immune systems and trigger changes that
might lead to diabetes....The studies -- one from the University of Colorado, the other from Germany --are published in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.... Doctors frequently recommend starting solid food -- usually cereal -- between the ages of 4 months and 6 months...."

anyone have more info on these studies?
good for amo when people ask why arent you giving your infant cereal..maybe...

I dont get the 'too late' part though..it said something about after 7 months?? wacky, so if you are at risk for diabetes, you should introduce the cereal between the 6th and 7th month? how about not at all lol!

please feel free to delete or edit if I quoted too much of this..
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I think there's a thread on this article in "Good Eating".
Interesting study, but leaves a lot of questions unanswered.
See less See more
I couldn't find a thread on this in Good Eating.

This story aired on our local news the other night. I would like to see the whole paper. The results have me very suspicious.

They said they used the 4-6 month group as the standard to which the other groups (0-3 and 7-10 mos) were compared. This doesn't make much sense, IMO. I would like to see the statistics.

I also wonder if they took into account babies who were BF and for how long, and what about those who simply never introduced rice cereal in the first place?

Assuming the study was done properly, all they can say is that the cereal is least damaging when given from 4-6 months. There are so many other factors involved, it's really hard to say.
Hmmm... maybe the thread I'm thinking about was on a different message board.

One of the problems I have with the study is that they relate the link of diabetes to gluten... and rice cereal doesn't contain gluten. As a matter of fact, they don't differentiate between any cereals in the article. There are huge variables in what type of cereal infants are fed and when they are introduced, and none of this is taken into account.
Piglet68- I wanted to see the actual study, also, so I went and found it: JAMA- Cereal Introduction

My sister mentioned this study to me yesterday, and I didn't like the fact that there was such a very small window that they felt was "okay" to introduce cereal. I plan on holding off solids for at least two or three more months (7-8 months) and wanted to see this study.

Although I have barely read any of it so far, there were a couple things that piqued my interest:

(Trying to do this and still follow the copyright rules....)

Quote:
The risk associated with early exposure might suggest a mechanism involving an aberrant immune response to cereal antigens in an immature gut immune system in susceptible individuals. The risk associated with late exposure to cereals may be related to the larger amount of exposure at initial introduction in the older children.
It would seem that, according to this, early intoduction is risky due to similar reasons that are already associated with allergies and early intro. And late intro would seem to be safe as long as you don't introduce a large amount of the food all at once. The study goes on to say that infants 7+ months in the study are fed 1 or more servings of solids per day.

Quote:
We found that if cereals were introduced while the child was still breastfeeding, the risk of IA was reduced, independent of the age at exposure to cereals.
So it looks like the study outcome doesn't really reflect babies who are still being breastfed at introduction of solids, which I think most of us here will deem very important. As long as you continue to breastfeed when you introduce solids, the risk isn't going to be as great. This is a key factor for me in deciding what to make of this study.

I should point out that they admit their findings are inconsistent. There is another study (I think it is linked at the bottom of the study page.) The other study says that if gluten-containing foods are introduced too early, it can lead to development of islet autoantibodies in children already at increased risk.

Jacksons mama, they do (in the first study) separate the different types of cereal and they don't say that rice cereal contains gluten. They make it very clear in the actual study that rice doesn't contain gluten, but they do say that both types of cereal (rice and gluten-containing) increase the risk of IA. I would question whether the people who wrote the article you read even looked at the study, because one of the first things they mention is that solids mean different things in different places and that they used three cereal groups: all cereals, rice cereals only, and gluten cereals only.

While I find the whole thing interesting, I don't think that it will affect when I will introduce solids to Maggie's diet, because I feel the finding that continuing to breastfeed while introducing new foods makes it "safer" is what matters most to me. The benefits of longer breastfeeding would seem to outweigh the potential risks. JMNSHO for MY child.
See less See more
I'm so glad to see this discussed! There was a little blurb in our paper abou this the other day and it made NO SENSE to me that there would be an increased risk for diabetes if you introduced "solids" after 7 months.
Thanks, Maggie's Mom, for the link and your thoughts on the study, it clears some questions up that I had.
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.