Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just shy of 34 wks pg with my 3rd baby. For the last 2 days, I have had extended periods (think hours) of VERY intense, sometimes painful (and I have a high tolerance for pain) BH contrax. every 2-5 mins, 30-60 sec. in length. I am slightly concerned, as my dd was born at 35 wks (with no warning, my water spontaneously broke) I was wondering if there were any herbs/homeopathics I could use to delay labor if I am in the early stages. I really want to make it 2 more weeks at least. If I can't, my MW can't deliver the baby and I will end up at a medical hospital with a MD which I DO NOT want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
16,471 Posts
I'm sorry you are worried. Does your mw know about this? I had preterm labor (started dilation and lost part of my plug) at 23 weeks. Bestrest and terbutaline made the cx less intense, even though they were still constant. Nitara was born at 38 weeks. The terb is not fun but I believe it saved Nitara's life.

Darshani

· Registered
644 Posts
Natural progesterone cream (available over the counter), extra cal/mag, lots of rest, drink LOTS of water....these things helped me carry my DS tp 38.5 weeks. I went into preterm labor at 23 weeks. Did not do well on terbutaline...ended up in hospital 2 more times w/ more dialation and effacement. Once I started the progesterone cream at 30 weeks I still had contractions but no more dialation or effacement. Definitely talk to your midwife.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mamas...I saw my MW today, and she prescribed rest, water, and a good dark beer! :LOL My cervix is 'mushy', and a fingertip dilated, but she isn't too worried about that yet. SHe just wants to slow the contrax. so my water doesn't break. If this doesn't work, I will have to go to the Hospital for an IV of who-knows-what. Ugh...I'm keeping my legs crossed...

· Registered
5,511 Posts
viburnum op. or viburnum prunifolium- this is also called cramp bark or black haw- it is a smooth muscle relaxant, it might help. Also vitamin E has been used to help placenta to continue to function-use natural form which is d not dl which is unnatural form.
be sure you are staying hydrated and are not having any nipple stimulation, no sex ( this means any variety).
the progesterone suggestion is reasonable you can buy an over the counter cream that would contain or ask your care provider
do you have an infection, BV or ????

· Registered
1,381 Posts
When I was showing signs of preterm labor, my MW prescribed cramp bark, motherwort, valarium and jamaican dogwood herbs. I was taking some as often as every half hour (motherwort, I think). Cramp bark every hour and the other two every two hours, one dropperful each time. I started mixing them in water once they started making my mouth raw. I started taking those herbs at around 35 weeks. I was also on bedrest until 37 weeks (though I got off bedrest a few days early). I had DD at 39 weeks 2 days.

· Registered
7,085 Posts
BTDT Mama

* Get yourself some *good* Progesterone cream. The www.organicexcellence.com brand is best.

* Up your water (add lemon to it to help your liver) and make sure you're getting 100 grams of protein a day.

* Take some magnesium supplements (vitamins).

* Lots of vitamin C & protein to prevent Premature Rupture of the Membranes (PROM - like you had last time)

* If things seem like they're getting iffy take Siberian Ginseng. This is the natural terbutaline

* Drink a glass of wine & take a long hot bath (bath also helps keep you hydrated)

* Visualize a closed cervix. Really, whenever you can picture it closed tight and it remaining closed tight until you give it permission to open.

* Tell your baby that now is NOT the time. Tell him you'll let him know when it's safe to come out.

I wish you the best of luck. Think positive. Like I said, I've BTDT and I was still able to have beautiful homebirths and healthy babies. Keep that baby in Mama.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.