Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would say I miscarried at about 4-5 weeks. I was taking a progesterone supplement and couldn't stop until I verified with blood tests that HCG wasn't going up. I was spotting even on the progesterone and I started out with a really low hcg level of 9, so I knew there was a problem. The miscarriage was prolonged due to the progesterone.<br><br>
However, I am wondering if having a lot of clots this early in a pregnancy/miscarriage is normal. I am on day 7 of bleeding and I usually only have a 5 day period with two days of heavy bleeding and the rest really light. I have been bleeding medium to heavy for about 5-6 days with medium to light for 1-2 days. There have been lots of big clots and for the past 2 days I have small clots. On the first day of serious bleeding there were very large clots, stringy clots and a large pool of blood at one point. I am unsure if this is normal for this early of a miscarriage. I literally spotted from the very beginning of this pregnancy. Could this indicate a problem or is this normal? Could the progesterone have caused my uterine lining to thicken more than normal and caused more clots?<br><br>
I am planning to take a cycle off from TTC, but I am also trying to decide if I want to get the clotting tests done to determine if there is a problem.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I'm not a doctor and I can't speak to your situation but I do know that I had almost entirely *all* clots with my 10 week loss. I was very concerned and like you came here and posted. Lots of wise women here said that clots and stringiness are in the realm of normal for a loss.<br><br>
I just had my bloodwork up completed today. I had to wait 6 weeks from the loss in order to have the things like anti-lupus and clotting tests done. The genetics testing we had done right away.<br><br>
I asked my doctor to do the testing even though it is more typical to have that type of testing after multiple losses. For me, I could not bear the guilt of knowing I had something that either could have been prevented or treated and that I caused harm to my baby. I also know lots of women who wait until later to have the testing done. Whatever you decide will be right for you!<br><br>
I'm so sorry you are here. This is great place to grieve and have support on questions. I wish you peace.<br><br>
Jenne

·
Registered
492 Posts
What you are describing sounds very much like my 5 week loss. Heavier than normal period with lots of smaller clots and stronger cramps.<br>
The one that I just experienced (7 weeks) was very different. Lighter than period bleeding, very little cramping. One day of back pain with everything seemingly passed at once, and maybe a couple small clots over the last few days.<br>
I think there is a wide variation just based on how your body responds.<br>
Sorry you are going through this.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Tonya, I was wondering how you are doing?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am doing fine. The miscarriage is done and onto my regular cycle.<br><br>
Thanks for asking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts