Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the negative effects my pregnancy was having on nightnursing, which was upsetting our whole nursing relationship, we decided to nightwean our then 15 month old dd. We did so gradually and by 17 months she was sleeping through the night from around 9:30 pm to 7:30 am. Prior to nightweaning she slept until 8:30am, but I figured that since she was getting a more solid block of time sleeping at night, it seemed normal for her to start getting up at 7:30am after nightweaning. Dd also takes one nap during the day around 1 or 2 pm for about 2hrs, which she's been doing since 10 months of age when she gave up her morning nap of her own choice.<br><br>
We have changed nothing about our routine recently, but all of the sudden she seems to be waking up earlier and earlier in the past 2 or 3 weeks. First it was 7:00, now she's trying to get up at 6:30. It's not even light out at 6:30, and if I nurse her then she doesn't go back to sleep since it's apparently close enough to her "normal" waking time. It doesn't seem to matter when she goes to sleep either. She usually goes to sleep between 9 and 10 pm. Last night she stayed up until 10:10 and then still tried to get up at 6:30 this morning. How can that possibly be enough sleep for an 18 month old, especially since I know many 18 month olds are still taking two naps, and even if they're only taking one, it seems to be more like a three-hour nap than the two-hour nap she takes.<br><br>
Some days dd will skip her nap altogether. Is she actually getting ready to give up her nap already, and that's why she's not sleeping as long at night? My mom said I was finished with naps by the time I turned 2, much to her dismay. Or do you think she's still adjusting from being nightweaned?<br><br>
Oh, she's also had a cold the past couple of days, but I would have thought she'd need *more* sleep as a result rather than *less.*<br><br>
Anyone been through this before, or have any suggestions? I am considering trying to cut her nap short today and keeping her up until 10 in the hopes that she'll sleep later tomorrow morning. It's really hard to wake up before 7 for me, especially being pregnant. I could handle it if she'd just sleep a half-hour longer till 7, although I'm just starting to panic, too, because of the time change coming up, because then 7am will be 6am--yikes!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts