Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the place to post this. Diapering doesn't seem quite right, either.
We have a 2y5m old daughter that we have been potty training for about 6 months. It was going well, but now it's not. I just read a potty training debate in American Baby. An early potty trainer vs a late potty trainer. I am totally against late potty training. I think it's completely disgusting when 3 and 4 and 5 year olds still mess themselves daily. So, I'd like to try early potty training with baby #2 (no pun intended), who is due any day now. I ordered a book on the subject from Amazon, and I am also very interested in personal experiences with early toilet training. What's your story? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
I waited until my first showed signs of readiness. He was a month past his third birthday. He took three weeks to totally train -- including being dry through the night. My step sister who has a girl my ds's age started training her dd at 2 1/4 years. My son was trained before her dd. Sometimes waiting till they are ready saves many a headache.

My second is a few weeks away from his third birthday and we are just now starting to train him, although he isn't really enthusiastic about it and I may have to shelf it for a month.

If you are interested in learning more about elimination communication, check out this forum. http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=65887 It is a subforum of the diapering forum so it doesn't show on the main page. I think you will find it interesting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FINALLY! It is so nice to finally hear someone say it.I have been in public places like the children's room at the library quietly enjoying time with dd,when I am suddenly assaulted by this stench
.I look around expecting to find a baby only to be confronted by an extremly smelly 3,4,or 5 year old.And to make matters worse their parents
pretend that they don't notice thei stinky child.You would think that they would be so embarassed that they would rush them away to change them.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by julie128
I am totally against late potty training. I think it's completely disgusting when 3 and 4 and 5 year olds still mess themselves daily.
My daughter didn't start using the potty until she was just past 3.5. It was one of those cases where it just wasn't going to work until she was ready for it to happen. I've known plenty of children who were out of diapers earlier, like at 2.5, so I don't think that is too early--I honestly just think it depends on the child. I had a potty chair available by the time she was 18 months, and she watched me go to the bathroom plenty of times. But if I asked her to sit on the potty, she refused, and I did try to actually put her on it twice. Both times she screamed bloody murder and kept her legs up and grabbed a hold of me. So I knew that for some reason she was really serious about this not being a good idea, and I just went with her timetable.

I've known other moms who have had success in potty training by offering rewards and praise. Either a chart with stars or giving candy like M&Ms for every successful use. In our case I don't think it would have worked, because there was nothing she wanted enough to sway her to go on the potty at that point in time. When she did finally start, it took her less than a week to get the hang of it. She still has issues with poop, however, and doesn't want to see it in the toilet or on the toilet paper, so I still wipe her in #2 situations.

I did try elimination communication when she was very young, but I didn't stick with it. I think that babies who never wear diapers are more likely to train early, so maybe you can try that right from the get go with baby #2.

·
Registered
453 Posts
my dd was in cloth since as a baby, I thought by being in cloth she would potty train early. Unfortunately that was not the case with her. Summer time she would run around in our yard naked at age 2 and learn about her elimination by seeing and feeling it come out. She would start to use the potty, but come winter she was back in diapers and only in the home she would use the potty but not yet at the stage to inform me when we went shopping. I went many time to the store with her only having to clean up the floor of the store so went back to diaper. Finally at age 3.5 she is totally diaper free and just need it at bed time.

Every child varies in development such as eating, walking, talking...my dd was quite late in most of those so naturally potty training also took it time. I dont think its fair to judge the parents of those who have kids still in diaper in public, be grateful that you dont have to step where the child peed.
(true parents should take the initiative to change their child promptly when the child makes a bowel movement).

Again, that is my experience. Just follow your child lead and dont get frustrated with them if they are not potty trained to your expectation. Its all experiment stages for everyone.

If you are talking about early elimination process which many parents do with babies, cueing in on the baby elimination process and taking them to the sink or potty early on then that is a different issue. Its cueing in to the babys cues as they are able to use their reflex before diapers came into effect. But does take a lot of patient from the parents.
Check out the Elimination forum for that.

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I am planning to start with my daughter (who is almost a year) at about 18 months. I started putting my son on the little potty at 15 months and he would go on it. By 18 months he would go anytime he was put on it (but he wouldn't tell me if he had to go). Then I had my daughter and totally did away with it for awhile out of exhaustion. I would still take him if he asked but didn't initiate it. Then when he was 2.5 I started feeling really disgusted by changing such a big boys diapers (cloth) so we went cold turkey. I put him in undies and never looked back. The first week he had tons of accidents, then he just got the hang of it. He was completely day trained 10 days into it and by 2.5 weeks into it he was consistently telling me when he had to go and I never had to remind him. He stills wears a pull up at night now (hes 2 years 9 months) because he has some wet nights and I don't want to embarrass him. I think he would have been fully trained by two if I had stuck with it. So with my daughter I am going to start at 18 months which will be in May and because its warm I'll just let her walk in around in just a diaper to make it easier. I hope to have her fully trained by two. I hate to say it but I too am really grossed out by late potty training. The exception being in a situation like m neice. She is autistic and 4.5 and still in pull ups. But that is to be expected i think.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hi, an EC'ing mom here

Definately check out the Elimination Communication forum (subforum under diapering). It's the way to go if you want to avoid late toilet learning---just don't train them to go in a diaper in the first place! We started when ds was a week old and he is now dry during the day (and hasn't pooped in a diaper in months!).
Best of luck to you

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Beware though, I have also read that if you push them too early, when they are certainly NOT ready, that they can regress in late toddler years. I personally think that when a baby is ready to go in a toilet, they will learn to do so. But, that is just my HO. I think that if you have a 3, 4 or 5 year old in diapers, without a special need, they should be able to tell you when they are wet or dirty and they should be changed. My infant doesn't sit around in his own urine, why should my toddler??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts