Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason I would need an early ultrasound???

I do not know when I conceived--I had a miscarriage at the end of May--and then never got a period--and found out I was pregnant again--so I had my blood tested to get quatitative hCG--which put me at 6-7 weeks (at that time--I'd be 7-8 weeks or so now).

The OB I saw wanted to do an early ultrasound for dating purposes...but isn't the guesstimate of 6-7 weeks along good enough--(putting me due sometime at the end of March)???

Is there any benefit to knowing a more "exact" EDD??? I'm totally fine knowing that SOMETIME in March or early April I'd be giving birth...babies come when they want to anyway...

Thoughts???

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I wouldn't do it. But I'd birth with a homebirth midwife who is comfortable with that.

-Angela
Dito. Not having the ultrasound will most likely lead to problems with an OB when we're talking going overdue.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I was bullied into an early ultrasound with my first two pregnancies but this time around with all the reading I've done, I'm not taking any chances with the possible side effects.

MAYBE later ( like 3rd trimester) I'll allow my midwife to take a peek at the baby's genitals so I can know what I'm getting into a little better (already have two boys, dying to know what this one is!)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I had an early ultrasound with #2 because I got hit in the stomach (long story-am to very comfortable talking about it) and bled for a long time with dark brown blood. I thought I was miscarrying, so we did the ultrasound. The baby looked fine, so I just carried on with the pregnancy. However, dd's heart beat was really low throughout the pregnancy, and she wasn't moving towards the end, so we did a Biophysical profile which looked alright but the NST was less then reassuring, so I let my midwife strip my membranes at 2 wks post dates. When dd#2 was born, her skin was peeling and very dry; and her placenta had lost color and looked like it was not functioning well. It was very scary..I realized that I might have come very close to a still birth.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
OT: AngelPie, could that blow have anything to do with your current back problems? Maybe something was damaged and it was aggravated by labor?

On topic:
There are two reasons for an early ultrasound, suspected miscarriage and a provider with an induction addiction. I'd be more inclined to switch providers than have a U/S for the second reason.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I chose to have the early ultrasound because i knew my dates were off. in the state of Wa, you can't have a birthing center birth after 42 weeks, and I knew that i was probably 1.5 weeks behind when my midwife estimated based on my LMP. i figured it was worth buying myself more birthing time in the end. They wanted me to come in for a second one for extra confirmation, but i was all pfffft. i was happy with my date (one day later than I thought it should be! :p), that was enough for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.