Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family doctor wants to send me for an ultrasound because a week and a half ago I had a little spotting.

I am not totally opposed to going, but what can I expect to even see? I'm due Aug. the 8th. Basically, I don't want to go if all I can expect to see is a sac... that will just have me worrying for the next little while...

Has anyone had an ultrasound yet? What did it show?

Also, with my last pregnancy I had an early ultrasound (5 weeks) and it clearly showed TWO sacs. By the time I had another scan at 12 weeks there was only ONE baby. The docs and midwives said that's quite within the range for normal, a lot of pregnancies start out with two sacs, and one gets absorbed as it goes along....

Anyways I'm rambling now. Any words of wisdom would be well received!

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderinggypsy View Post
Basically, I don't want to go if all I can expect to see is a sac... that will just have me worrying for the next little while...
does it really matter what you can see? As long as the u/s tech can get their measurements and say "you're right where you need to be" should be enough for you to not worry about.

But it is up to you of course... Do you think the spotting worries you enough to get the u/s to make sure everythings okay?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Probably they will only be able to see a sack.

If seeing that sack will give you something you want (peace of mind), and you are unconcerned about ultrasound, then there is no reason not to have it. On the other hand, unless you have symptoms of an ectopic pregancy, which it doesn't sound like you do, the test will not tell your doctor anything that s/he will DO anything about.

I had a LOT of spotting, and painful cramping, with my first pregnancy. Concerned about an ectopic, I went for an early u/s. At the emergency room, no less! I would definitely not do that again unless I were REALLY worried about an ectopic. It was a thoroughly miserable experience. A follow up a few weeks later when I was still bleeding was not nearly as awful since it was at a regular u/s clinic. But I still doubt that I will ever have an u/s again, especially an early = vaginal one, unless I am hoping to learn something from it that will change what I choose to do.

But that's me.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
when would the ultrasound be? you are 5w4d now - they would see the sac and a fetal pole. if you wait 3-5 more days there will be a heartbeat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went and got an ultrasound yesterday, I had THOUGHT that I was 8w and had spotting so we did an ultrasound to find the heartbeat. Well, I got to see the heartbeat which was amazing, and we also found out I am only 6w2d so a little earlier in the game then I had thought.

I have been spotting pretty frequently but the doctor said it's nothing to worry about, it can happen when the baby is implanting and also I am rh negative so I don't know if it's because of that. If the blood is red then it's something to worry about, if it's pink, it happens to many women.

One thing he also said though is if you are miscarrying, there is nothing they can do to prevent it so it doesn't do any good to worry about it... so I just try to stay positive!

I would go get an ultrasound because you might get to see your baby and see the heartbeat!!!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Could it be possible that it was just implantation spotting? I had more than just a little spotting about a week ago too and it was a little scary. I considered an early u/s too but then figured that there is not much they can see at this point. With DS1 they were scared of ectopic and sent me for a whole string of unnecessary ultraounds and caused a lot of unnecessary worrying. Everything was fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.