Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we lay down to bf...95% of the time. i used to notice alot of was coming out of his left ear (the ear he would sleep on most of the time) and not much out of the other-I'd have to clean the surrounding area daily. lately I haven't seen any actually coming out. NOW, after he's done eating he lays flat on his back.

His left ear appears to be very clogged w/ wax and I'm wondering what I should do about it. We went to the dr. last wk for something else and when he checked his ears (to look for infection) he said the right one if fine but he couldn't see very well in the right one bc it's so clogged w/ wax. He didn't have anything to say about removing it. it was a family dr. who I think is very new and I don't think he new much- our reg. dr. was out.

Anyway....I'm posting here bc I'm thinking maybe this is very common in bf babies who lay down while eating.

Also, I don't get the thing about ear infections in babies who lay down to eat. anyone? thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Gavin has a lot of ear wax also. i have not noticed it getting clogged though it just seems to drain. I wouldnt stick anything in his ear. if anything I would call your doctor back and tell them what you can see and what that doctor told you and ask them what you should do. that would be your best bet.

·
Registered
778 Posts
All my babies have had ALOT of ear wax, it would just pour out of their ears daily. It has calmed down alot in my older boys but my LO still has alot but not as much as when he was younger. I don't really do anything to keep them clean because it will eventually work it's way out.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Some kids can have too much and get an outer ear infection. My three sons all had problems with their ears. One son had the worst inner ear infection the clinic had ever seen and had about 20 people look at it. Another son had so much ear wax that after they removed it they took pictures because no one would believe how much it was.

The son with the wax problem does have a long ear canal. When you give your little ones a bath if you let warm water get in their ear a little while after the bath you should see the wax come out. If there is wax build-up we put oil in the ear over night. We just use olive oil because we always have it. Don't use a petroleum oil like Johnson's. The wax may come out.

If the wax doesn't come out you can put oil in before a doctors appointment and they can clean it out. It doesn't hurt. If you don't put oil in you will have to have them put something in and wait for it to work before they can go to work.

After it gets cleaned out kids may hear much better. Wax in ears of young kids can be bad for communication development.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.