Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<br>
This is my first time posting a message. I have a daughter who will be 3 at the end of August. Whenever she wants to do something, but does not know how, she will not let me show her the correct way to do it. For example, how to hold a bat correctly (she would not switch her hands) or press on a hose nuzzle (she would lower her thumbs).<br>
It is so frustrating because she ould learn how to do so much if she would just let me show her.<br>
Well she just woke up, what do you think?<br>
Frustrated

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Welcome!<br><br>
Honestly, when she wants you to show her...she'll let you know. My son does the same thing from time to time. He gets overly anxious but refuses to let anyone else touch whatever it is. But eventually he will get frustrated enough and just give it to me and say "Show me". I especially love it when he sees something new and says, "Here, I show you"...it's hilarious..then I get to watch him fumble with whatever it is...and it may be 30 seconds or 3 minutes..but he'll come up to me and say "Here, you take it, show me". And then I show him.<br><br>
I know it's frustrating, but unless it's dangerous or fragile, let them figure it out if they don't want any help. Otherwise, you could wait until she loses interest and then when she's distracted, pick up whatever it is and start playing with/using it and start talking about what you are doing. "Oh, I love to water the garden...I like to press the nozzle on the hose...." She'll hear you talking about the thing she was interested in and more than likely come over to see what you are doing.<br><br>
Good luck and welcome mama!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for responding. This is a great way to talk to other parents. I think I will just lay off. She seems to be learning new stuff all the time. I think I will just try to relax a little.<br>
Thanks again for your reply.<br>
Nicole

1 - 3 of 3 Posts