Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Seattle.

We might be moving to your Eastside this year, so that DH can work for your largest employer. I am trying to read all about you. What are your independent papers, other mom message boards (not that I don't love MDC!), and any other place a couple from NC with a 1 year old can find good info on where to live, do, etc.

If there are any other mamas from the Southeast on here, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the NW!

· Registered
5,113 Posts
I'm from Tennessee originally, and I have to say, the Pacific Northwest and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the openness and tolerance of the people, but I hate the weather. I love all the recreation opportunities, but I hate how rich everyone seems to be here. I love the parks, but I hate the traffic. Did I mention the weather? It's cold and gray/drizzly here most of the year -- the highs in most of June were in the 50s, and while that was a bit lower than "normal" it's no unheard of. By March, I am sick of it, and usually I go somewhere else in April -- like Tennessee, or New Jersey, or California (where I lived for a long time). Also, people here are friendly, but for the most part maintain a certain distance. This has its advantages, of course (no meddling), but it also has some distinct disadvantages, as you might imagine. Even my own uncle, who lives in Seattle, never calls me and always has to go if I call him.

But if you don't mind cold, penetrating dampness, the other stuff isn't so bad.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts, Jen. This summer has been particularly hot and humid here, enough to keep you indoors for days. I am hoping to get used to the weather and maybe enjoy it. I am also hoping we can get past the "seattle freeze" and make friends. I am a bit of a talker and joiner, so maybe I will just force myself (in the southern hospitality way, of course
) on other people.

We have a more mainstream message board here in my area of NC that is pretty active and you can get the feeling of the broader mom community here. Is there some other kind of community family-oriented message board in Seattle?

· Registered
69 Posts
Also, people here are friendly, but for the most part maintain a certain distance. This has its advantages, of course (no meddling), but it also has some distinct disadvantages, as you might imagine. Even my own uncle, who lives in Seattle, never calls me and always has to go if I call him.

I have recently moved here from NJ myself. We are living in the NE of PDX and we love it so far, but we are definitely experiencing the above. Personally, this is the biggest drawback for me. I had significant problems with NJ, but the people were open and honest. I am hoping that we find ways to connect with people soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.