Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some easy to eat, yet healthy foods for traveling. I only need Breakfast and lunch Ideas. Unfortunately I won't have access to any cooking. or a fridge, so they will have to be easy to prepare.
I thought of granola bars, apples, peanut butter & Jelly......

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
granola, nuts,dried fruits, fresh fruits (pears apples bananas tomatoes), some vegetables, whole grain bread with a spread if you like sweet stuff we use nutella,whole grain bread and top with bananas sometimes. nut butters on whole grain bread,pitas filled with veggies and a dressing or vinigarette, If you have a cooler you could shred up a roasted chicken for more protein to add to a sammy or pita pocket. naan bread with some hummus and veggies (if you have a cooler) that is all I can think of right now lol. Oh and some canned beans or some sorts shoudl keep well

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
How are you traveling? If it's by public transportation (bus, train, airplane, ferry or boat cruise), please consider carefully whether peanut and nut products may be a hazard to others.

For lunches, the small single serve soups that just require hot water are nice. Many hotels/motels have kettles in the rooms. If you are on the road, you can get hot water at a coffee shop - pay for tea and ask for the tea bag on the side, if you feel shy about it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I like to have savory foods as well as sweet, so things like beef jerky, savory muffins (like cheddar ham, tomato basil, herbed garlic, etc). Hard boiled eggs don't need to be refrigerated, so they are a good choice for protein.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought trail mix and beef jerky to add to my list. Thanks!

I would love to take hard boiled eggs, but I read that they need to be refrigerated after 2hours. I won't have access to a fridge.

·
Registered
769 Posts
other dry cereal too in baggies would be good

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post
I bought trail mix and beef jerky to add to my list. Thanks!

I would love to take hard boiled eggs, but I read that they need to be refrigerated after 2hours. I won't have access to a fridge.
Will it be a car trip so that you have access to a cooler? That would open up more options. Otherwise, I'm taking notes from these great ideas, too.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
There's probably a way to make this healthy but one of our camping favoites is:

Bisquick bicuits (made according to package directions) with 1 lb of cooked sausage and 2 cups of cheese.

Cheese is also pretty shelf-stable. We waxed meal-sized portions of cheese and then ate them on a 3 week long camping trip. Some molded and we cut that part out. But not that much.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
There's probably a way to make this healthy but one of our camping favoites is:

Bisquick bicuits (made according to package directions) with 1 lb of cooked sausage and 2 cups of cheese.
We make this as a camping treat, too, but as sausage balls. Mix 1 lb raw sausage, 2 cups cheese, and 2 cups bisquik together. Roll into walnut size balls, then bake until golden. About 15 minutes at 350 or so. They are very good! Unfortunately, they are the only thing I make with bisquik, so I have to keep making them until I use up the box.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
You can find small jars of bean dips, and sometimes even packaged hummus that don't need refrigeration, as well as mini salsas. There are also smaller cans of garbanzo beans which would be tasty with pita bread and a little lemon juice. Cold canned or jarred beets aren't too bad either with some sort of cracker or bread.

Prepared (or purchased) popcorn. Tortilla chips. Applesauce. Carrots also manage well for a day or two without refrigeration, and are good with nut butters or individual dip/dressings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.