Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on another thread that many wanted to learn how to make soap. I have an easy recipe that doesn't take a lot of time, work or know how. It's a good place to start. I know that when I was interested in soap making the books out there really intimidated me, and with small children it just wasn't feasible.

Castile Soap

54 oz Olive Oil
16 oz distilled or soft water
7 oz lye
1 oz essential oil (if desired)

Put olive oil in a crockpot- set on low.
Measure and pour lye into water.
After mix clears, slowly pour into olive oil. Mix with stick blender til trace.
Cook for 1 hour.
Cool slightly and add essential oil if desired and poor into molds.

Soap may be used after it has cooled. Allow to cure for a few weeks or months to improve lather.

I use an old garage sale crock pot, and I borrow a friends scale. I've mixed in oatmeal and that worked out great. I use drawer organizers for molds. Not a lot of money invested in supplies, makes a really mild soap.

________
Renita

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have always wanted to make soap. I'm going to a workshop the end of the month - YAY!! Lye is really scary stuff to me. I know there are certain things you can't mix it in (I think it eats away at stainless steel and plastic). You can find it along side of drain cleaners sometimes in grocery stores.
I think for liquid soap you grind up soap and mix with water.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You can hardly ever find lye in the stores anymore, it's used in making some kind of drugs so they took it off the shelf. I bought mine online, $10 for 2 lbs I think, and I had to fax in a waiver.

For that recipe (54oz oil) I would use 20 oz of water and 6.9 oz of lye, and I wouldn't cook it for an hour I'd pour directly to molds. I do cold process not hot, haven't tried hot. BTW that's all weight not fl oz on all ingredients. A good kitchen scale or postage scale is the best thing to get for soap making besides the stick blender.

Liquid soap is made with potash instead of lye. in that recipe, 9.8 oz of potash would work, and a slightly different proceedure to make it. http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/li...liquidsoap.htm

Wear rubber gloves, and maybe safety glasses, and have the window open. You can use a plastic container but if you do use it only for soap making nothing else. I use a plastic pitcher for my lye/water solution.

Putting the lye/water solution container in a bath of icewater helps it cool down easier. Normally would take over half an hour, I have it down to 10 minutes. I use a candy thermometer to check it, when the lye/water and the oil are both within 105-110 degrees F I pour the lye into the oil, then blend til trace.

Use this to work out recipes. http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp

·
Registered
236 Posts
this may not be anything you are interested in but i found a great site that had tons of these bath products really easy recipes,this one is for a simple lotion bar
4oz shea butter
4oz beeswax
5oz liquid oil(olive oil or whatever you have om hand)
2 teasppons of oil or fragrance of you choice

melt was and stir everything in then pour into molds let cool and use you can package them and use them in about 2 hours!
its a great little project for the kids to help with to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.