Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a mother of a 24 month old and a 8 month old (I also teach full time). I'm looking for fast, kid freindly, veggie recipies (that do not include speghetti, hummus, chilli and veggie wraps, beans wraps etc-looking for something diffrent) Any ideas on cook books I should read or any tips from your own kitchen that I could use?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Maybe pick up some asian cookbooks at the library. And some kid cookbooks that you can substitute veg ingredients easily.

A rice cooker is my go-to gadget for quick family meals, no matter what style cuisine. It can cook more than just rice too, and doesn't require any babysitting.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I love soups -- they're quick to make and you can make a big batch so there's enough for another day or to freeze. My kids love split pea, minestrone, black bean and corn . . . I'll post a couple of recipes . . .
Creamy Carrot Soup

My daughter calls this "Smoothie Soup" since it is finished in the blender. She likes to drink it warm out of a cup. This soup is delicious with a sandwich or toast.

1 pound carrots, cut into thick slices (about 3 1/2 cups)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
3 cups water
2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon tahini or peanut butter
2 teaspoons miso
4 ounces tofu (optional)
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Place carrots, garlic, onion, and water in medium-size pan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
In blender or food processor, puree cooked vegetables with remaining ingredients until completely smooth. (You will need to do this in two batches.)
Serve immediately or reheat later over low heat. Be careful not to boil when reheating as this will kill the enzymes in the miso.

Yield: 4 servings

Minestrone Soup

Almost any combination of vegetables can be used in this soup. Use whatever your children like best. You can even use frozen veggies in a pinch.

1 medium onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
6 cups vegetable stock or water
1 large carrot, diced
1 cup sliced green beans (1/2-inch pieces)
1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
4 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned) with juice
2 cups cooked adzuki, kidney, or bean
1/2 cup minced kale, collards, or other leafy greens
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
black pepper to taste
8 ounces whole grain pasta noodles (uncooked)
1 tablespoon miso

Place onion, garlic, celery, and oil in large soup pot. Sauté vegetables 5 to 10 minutes over low heat, or until they are soft. Stir in basil, oregano, fennel, and bay leaf. Add water, carrots, green beans, and cauliflower. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add corn, tomatoes, cooked adzuki beans, greens, parsley, salt, black pepper, and noodles. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender but not mushy. Remove from heat. Stir in miso. Serve with grated parmesan cheese if desired.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

White Bean and Corn Chowder

1/2 onion, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
2 medium red or white new potatoes, diced
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
2 (15-ounce) cans white beans
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or kale
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon miso
1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
Black pepper to taste

In large soup pot, sauté onions in oil until soft. Stir in garlic, carrots, and potatoes. Sauté 5 minutes. Add water, bay leaf, and sea vegetables. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender but not mushy. Add beans with liquid and corn. Simmer 5 minutes, or until all ingredients are heated through. Remove from heat. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley, nutritional yeast flakes, and miso. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

"Cream" of Broccoli Soup

1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
3 cups coarsely chopped broccoli
3 cups water
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 tablespoon arrowroot
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1 tablespoon miso
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Place onion, garlic, celery, carrot, broccoli, and water in soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove 8 to 10 small broccoli florets and set aside.
Place cashews in blender. Grind to powder. Add remaining ingredients to blender along with half of the cooked vegetable/water mixture. Puree until smooth and pour into a pot. Puree remaining vegetables and water, and add it to soup in the pot. Stir in reserved florets. Reheat if necessary but do not boil because it will destroy the beneficial enzymes in the miso.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.