Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, I know we're not supposed to think of pregnancy as a time to eat for two. and I know that when I am breastfeeding baby still gets what I eat. but is anyone else as stoked as I am about that first post-birth meal?

I think I'm going for sushi. lots of it. and maybe I'll make a birthday cake as my birthing project. I have really limited my sugar during pregnancy, so I am more than ready for something nice and gooey, you know?

what are you looking forward to eating to celebrate your hard work and amazing achievement of bringing another person into your family?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I eat very healthily but allow myself treats (and as a vegan, there's nothing that's 'off-limits' to me like raw meat or soft cheese or whatever), so I'm not necessarily looking forward to the post-baby food. I don't feel 'deprived' of anything.

But what I *AM* looking forward to is SPRING! I'm ready for fresh fruits and non-grainy tomatoes and an abundance of veggies and lots and lots of big raw meals. That's what I miss more than anything - the fresh food!

·
Registered
501 Posts
a cold cut sub... ham, salami, cheese, maybe some mortadella... here I come!!! DH already knows he has to go get one within 24 hours of the baby's birth, just like last time!!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Well, I have been looking forward to it, because I don't enjoy eating at all. It is always associated with feeling pretty bad.

This morning, I woke up with an inspiration to have a bagel sandwich tray at the birth. Two trays -- one with sweet bagels and cream cheese and one with savory bagels with eggs, bacon, cream cheese and whatever inside.

I am going to pre-order them and have them delivered when I go into labor. In case it happens at night, I bought a bunch of back up stuff today (also bagel-themed)!

I remember a WONDERFUL, best-of-my-life sandwich that I ate right after my first child's birth. I can't wait to REALLY enjoy food again.
All of my friends laugh because I have been considering the sandwich trays "essential" birth supplies.

The MW is coming this afternoon for a home visit and I am making a tasting tray of a few sandwich-y items for her and her assistant. It's so funny that I am putting so much energy into this. My DH and I got married at home (very low-key) and we didn't even have ICE.
We are going to be STOCKED UP for this birth.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I want a nice glass of wine... or a good beer...

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Hmmm. I don't know. I've been eating sushi anyway, just not salmon or more inland swimming fish like rockfish (more likely to have parasites), but I would REALLY like a bunch of cold smoked salmon, so maybe some of that. lol The other thing I've been craving, which is completely weird because I never buy it when I'm not pregnant, is bologna. I've always liked bologna, but I think the last time I ate it was probably 2 or 3 years ago. I just don't buy lunch meats. Maybe that's what I'll have - a package of cold smoked salmon and a bologna sandwich. That sounds so good to me, but I realize that it's going to sound disgusting to probably everyone else. lol

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I want a nice glass of wine... or a good beer...
This is EXACTLY what I was going to say!!! My mouth waters at the thought... a good, stout beer... or a delicious, red wine to roll around over my tongue...

Oh, I cannot WAIT!!!!

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was going to say!!! My mouth waters at the thought... a good, stout beer... or a delicious, red wine to roll around over my tongue...

Oh, I cannot WAIT!!!!
YES! Exactly

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Quote:

YES! Exactly

So now to figure out... should I buy it ahead of time so that I have it on hand when I'm ready? Or wait a bit... since I really have no clue when this babe will be here?! (according to *my* timeline I'm 38 weeks already.. according to my midwife -- which I'm going by because I'm worried about going 'over' too far -- I'll be 38 weeks on Saturday).

While I'd love to be prepared, I might just wait... or I'll be super tempted! lol

But I'll occupy my time thinking of what I'd like... I'm trying to think of what my last glass of wine (which seems so long ago) was... I'm kind of thinking a pinot noir... hmm.....

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
My dh has continued to buy lovely belgian beers and they taunt me. Soooooo can't wait...

ETA... I'm considering having Dh pick up a local-ish beer - Ommegang's Three Philosophers. SO wonderful. And also a good shiraz... and perhaps my favorite NY state wine - Goosewatch's Traminette (sort of Gewurtz-y... ny does best with white wines...)... so I can have my pick on "the day" and soon after...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Not really feeling deprived, but I would like to get back to food not being such a nuisance to me.
One thing I look forward to after baby, a couple of big fat margarita's with some salty chips and salsa.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'll be making a chocolate cake while in labour (assuming I'll have time), for the baby's "birthday party" (this is a big highlight for the kids). My sister will bring champagne. I have no idea what we'll do for food. Depends on the time of day, I guess! Like the other vegan ladies have mentioned, there's nothing I've really been missing out on... aside from le booze.

I have a 6-pack of microbrewed beer from Vancouver (they don't sell it outside of BC, and it's seasonal, 'Winter Ale'... vanilla-y and amazing) that I have had in the pantry, waiting, since October. You best believe I'll be busting into that in my first week pp.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Um, am I the only one who's already having the occasional [small] glass of wine??? It's great for slowing BH ctx!

I have been occasionally having a very small glass of wine. I have had sips of Dh's beer, but it's never that good... somehow pregnancy messes with my tastebuds. I want a GLASS of wine
All for me!

For that matter, I had a bit of sushi last week and I eat soft cheese when I feel like it... so I don't really feel too deprived on those things.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Honestly, I don't think bits of alcohol are as bad as they're made out to be. That said, I haven't consumed any at all even if just for the stigma with family (dh gets freaked out at the thought too)... so... it's easier this way.

But other 'no-no' foods? I'm not a soft cheese fan, so that's no problem. .. but I haven't avoided anything else (um, I've never had sushi in my life... the joys of rural living). So, alcohol is the only thing I've avoided!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Um, am I the only one who's already having the occasional [small] glass of wine??? It's great for slowing BH ctx!

Quote:

I have been occasionally having a very small glass of wine. I have had sips of Dh's beer, but it's never that good... somehow pregnancy messes with my tastebuds. I want a GLASS of wine
All for me!

For that matter, I had a bit of sushi last week and I eat soft cheese when I feel like it... so I don't really feel too deprived on those things.
Yeah, I have a sip or 2 of beer and maybe 1/2 glass of wine as well. I'm a wine lover and thought I would want it more while preg, but a couple sips usually does me good.

I can't even imagine having a sip of margarita right now. I want it, but I know it would make me sick while preg...if that makes any sense.
After baby, it's on!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.