Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what you all are stocking up on??

With DS, I ate a huge breakfast about an hour before having him...but I don't think I packed anything to come with me. Not smart if my birthing him had been different.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I ate some soup early on but I wasn't really wanting it and it came back up later. The best things I hade were: tons of Recharge (healthyish energy drink), watermelon, popsicles, cold grapes (put them in the freezer in early labor). Basically things that I didn't really have to trhink about chewing.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I did frozen grapes last time too and some energy drink-it was pretty late at night so I didn't eat much. I need some other ideas though-I have an aversion to the cold grapes now because I vomitted twice in labor with ds and now they turn me off
I was debating some kind of bagel but that might be because I've been craving pesto bagels!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I ate a PB & J right before transition and promptly puked.

It was the best sandwich I've ever had, though!
This time I'm going to drink emergen-C and try to eat a smaller amount of some carb/protein mix...maybe some crackers with a bit of sting cheese.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I hear scrambled eggs are pretty good and some sort of healthy-ish energy electrolyte drink like Vitamin water or whatever.. I had no time with evan and was in hospital with Jay with no food rule which was OK since my back labor was SO bad I barfed the whole time (had spaghetti for dinner, too... NOT pretty) they ended up giving me an IV for dehydration which actually helped A lot...
OH when Irealized I was in labor I did manage to get dwon some chicken salad and some RRL tea and fruit, I think with Evan since I had not eaten in a long time and I knew I needed energy..

I am not sure how it will go this time, I ma allowed to eat and drink at will at birth ctr

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sorteep View Post
I hear scrambled eggs are pretty good and some sort of healthy-ish energy electrolyte drink like Vitamin water or whatever..
Funny, that's exactly what I had! Not really by choice, but by default - that is what the hospital had to give me, LOL. I remember thinking, OMG, these are the best eggs ever. DH looked at me like I was crazy as he thought the food was for him.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My friend's HB MW recommended honey - it's easily digestible, and a good source of quick energy, and isn't likely to come back up. I'm thinking some RRL tea sweetened with honey. My last labor was fairly short, and I didn't feel much like eating, anyway. But the tea would have been nice to have...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't remember wanting to eat at all when I was in labor, but I was induced with pitocen and it was pretty intense. I like that smartwater with electrolytes in it...that is what I am bringing with me in case I don't feel like eating. I am glad to see all of the food recommendations though, as it is something I never thought about.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't think we had any food with us, although I had my husband go out and get me ice cream. My sister showed up with a cheese sandwich for herself, which I promptly inhaled... and it was the best cheese sandwich EVER. I remember mowing through it and saying, "OMG, this is good! What kind of cheese is it? HAvarti? Jarlsberg?" and her saying, "Um, swiss cheese. From Safeway."

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I was thinking about bringing granola bars and fruit. But the way I have felt lately, the mere thought of them may make me barf. Maybe I will get a craving and send DH running out for stuff!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I still have such VIVID memories of eating AFTER delivery.. I am literally like a ravenous lion right after I deliver and whatever I eat tastes SOOOOO good (even if it isn't!) so I am prepared to have DH make me/ get me food right after (we are responsible for all food and drink at the birth ctr) so I have to plan it...

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm more looking to pack things to snack on after the baby is born! I was miserable for something to sink my teeth into and all they gave me was liquids because I had a c-section. I figure since I'm planning on staying home as long as possible if I have to go to the high risk hospital I figure I'll eat whatever I feel like eating. We have gatoraid here as part of our hurricane supplies, and other light munchies around. I figure I'll be pretty set for labor with what we have.

Anna

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sorteep View Post
my back labor was SO bad I barfed the whole time (had spaghetti for dinner, too... NOT pretty)
I am not sure how it will go this time, I ma allowed to eat and drink at will at birth ctr
Me too, but it was Mexican...yuck! I had on hand yogurt, juice popsicles, fruit juice, cheese, peanut butter etc. and although my labor was 17 hours I really didn't want any of it. The whole time I labored I could smell the pizza in the oven, a lasagna cooking, coffee etc and it all made me want to barf. Of course the second I was done laboring, I was ravenous. The photos of me eating (gorging myself) are *really* charming, as you can imagine! I sure hope this time is better

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I remember some story about a reporter going on a jet flight, and the pilot told him to eat bananas beforehand because they taste the same coming back up as they do going down. Maybe I'll take a couple of bananas.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
I remember some story about a reporter going on a jet flight, and the pilot told him to eat bananas beforehand because they taste the same coming back up as they do going down. Maybe I'll take a couple of bananas.
And they're slick too. That was about the most enjoyable thing I've thrown up as much as you can enjoy vomiting... Rice tastes the same, but it gets chunky and doesn't feel that great on the way back up. I would think avocado would be good too.

Anna

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I don't remember really wanting to eat while in labor either time. I enjoyed diluted fruit juice, gatorade and tea while in labor and ocassionally munched on a saltine cracker. But like others, I was ravenous after birthing both times. The first time I had my mom prepare a lasagna in the kitchen at the birthing center when the time got near and it was ready for me to chow about 30 min. after birth. Maybe I'll make one ahead of time, freeze it, and take it along this time. The second time, dh and I stopped at the store on the way there (like at 12:30 a.m.) and he got a frozen pizza because I knew I'd be starving after she was born.

I've never had frozen grapes. I might have to try that. And juice popsicles sound good too. I might take some Special K water along since it has protein. That would probably help if my labor is drawn out.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Da WIC Lady View Post
And they're slick too. That was about the most enjoyable thing I've thrown up as much as you can enjoy vomiting... Rice tastes the same, but it gets chunky and doesn't feel that great on the way back up. I would think avocado would be good too.

Anna

Funny, I thought I was the only one who analyzed how things come back up.
Hyperemesis at its finest!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
My friend's HB MW recommended honey - it's easily digestible, and a good source of quick energy, and isn't likely to come back up. I'm thinking some RRL tea sweetened with honey. My last labor was fairly short, and I didn't feel much like eating, anyway. But the tea would have been nice to have...
I am trying to find honey sticks--sounds like the perfect way to eat honey in labor.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
World Market usually has honey sticks- don't know if ya'll have those in VA though... I'd never been to one til I moved to IL. I'm pretty sure they don't have them in NC.

I can also find them here at gas station counters sometimes, oddly enough! Try a truck stop/travel plaza thing- they often have weird snacks and might have them. Someplace like a vitamin store might have them too- I think I saw some here by the tea and coffee in an organic/vitamin type store once. Pixie loves them- they are great for her when she has a sore throat. We use them instead of cough drops, since she's allergic to artificial colors and the choices are limited!

I ate homemade pimiento cheese on Ritz crackers last time in labor and threw it up. The Ritz were the nasty part though!

They also gave me a popsicle while I was in labor at the hospital, and some apple juice. The popsicle stained my lips and all of my photos came out with me having big purple lips- very attractive!

Banana sounds do-able to me, and I'll have to grab some electrolyte water. I'll definitely take honey sticks- all the doulas recommend them on my doula list- and most carry them in their "kit."

Manda

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i'm probably going to make a very thin/brothy soup, and stock up on some Gatorade type drinks.. honestly, i tend to barf ALOT in transistion, and i only want to eat things that i don't mind barfing back up again LOL.

for after the birth, i'm thinking grilled cheese sandwiches

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.