Mothering Forum banner

Eating locally on a budget

276 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Ruthla 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Great article!

I already eat locally most of the time, but its just farmers markets produce, and local chicken and eggs, locally produced fermented foods and the like. I even found local brown rice (expensive though!).

But the rest...do you know where I can find local Celtic salt? I love tea. As someone getting more into raw foods, things like coconuts, flax seeds, barhi dates would be a problem. I'm hypothyriod and need sea vegetables in my diet.

I doubt I can stick to $10/day when a pound of raw organic almonds cost $12.

I need variety in my diet, but I would be interested to find out what else I can buy locally.

#6 ·
I love how the 9mo was "already eating a strictly local diet- at his mother's breast."

It sounds like $10 a day wasn't enough for anybody but the elderly couple- and older people tend to require fewer calories than younger people do. I bet if they expanded the challenge rules a bit- say allowing imported spices (traditional cultures often traded lightweight, potent items such as dried seaweed, dried spices, and salt) and slightly increased the food budgets (What's the typical food budget for a single metropolitan woman? I bet it's a lot higher than for married suburbanites.Why didn't they count the nursing baby as a "person" for the sake of food budgeting- nursing mamas get hungry!) they'd have felt a lot more satisfied when the week was out.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.