Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow after a lot of trial and error what I've learned is that my daughter prefers to have her cereal / veggie / milk combo out of a sippy cup. She's OK with a spoon or finger but has 3x as much if given the option of a cup instead. Anyone else have this experience? Are there any pitfalls to letting her continue this way until she is ready for table foods?<br><br>
(She is 6.5 months & obviously I am not doing the baby-led weaning path that many here follow.)

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I think at that age, "drinking" solids makes them a little too easy to ingest a lot of them. Most of her nutrition should be from breastmilk or formula, with solids as the extra. If she can drink down the solids, then it's going to be easier to switch and make solids the bulk of her nutrition.<br><br>
I'm not as hardcore about baby led weaning as some here, and if you said she was 11 months old, I'd be all "go for it--whatever works for you." Six months just seems a little young to me.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
This worked well for us, because of circumstances. My oldest DD had to be at school. the baby basically went from the bed to the carseat after a diaper change. he was HUNGRY! I had no time to nurse him. I would make him a drink like you describe. He would drink that while we went through traffic and carpool. As soon as we got home, i nursed him. If he was full, I waited an hour then nursed him. It didn't seem to have a negative effect on our nursing relationship.<br><br>
Since, at 6.5 months old, solids are completely unecessary though, I wouldn't worry about getting quantity in. For me, the bigger deal would be the experience of eating food, with a spoon, and spending some face time with Mom, not so much trying to get him to eat more.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good point. DD is usually with her grandmother, but once a month she goes to the backup daycare facility due to my MIL's doctor's appointments. And she (the baby) tends to be very resistant to eating milk or solids at daycare........ I have to schlep myself up to that building 3-4 times a day to nurse. It's nice to see her, of course, but that takes a really big chunk out of my workday. So perhaps I can keep the food-in-sippy cup trick in my back pocket for circumstances such as those.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I wouldn't<br><br><a href="http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html" target="_blank">http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html</a>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts