Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was planning to dry out my placenta and make capsules from it after birth. however, we had to transfer to the hospital and so i'm just now (four days later) able to prepare it. dh put the placenta in the fridge where it's been sitting (not wrapped up) for the past four days. i've heard that it has to be "fresh" to have the medicinal qualities ... so ... how fresh is "fresh" ?

does anyone have any experience with this? have you ever made/taken these kind of capsules? is it as potent as just eating the placenta in a stew or something?

also, how did anyone deal with any adverse reactions from others about cooking/eating their placenta? i'm planning on cooking it tomorrow (it's 3am right now). dh is going to be home from work and a friend of mine and my mother might come over (to help clean up). i've heard that when steaming it gives off a pungent smell.

i've had a pretty stressfull week and i still want to do this if it will help me through the next period of my life. still, i'm wondering if it will be worth the trouble ...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
That is fine - actually you can have it frozen, defrost it and make the capsules out of it and they still work (maybe not as well as unfrozen, but still works).

It's as potent, not quite as gross and it actually can last you through the initial post-partum time, your first post-partum periods (they can be rough and the capsules help to even that out) and actually if you put the rest of the capsules in the freezer you can use them when you go through menopause to help (don't know if you want to keep them that long though
).

And as far as adverse reactions -yeah... it doesn't smell good when dehydrating or cooking. If you cut the cord off, rinse it really well and then slice it about 1" thick into strips, when you dehydrate it, it shouldn't take that long. You don't need to steam it if you don't want. (And you can put the dehydrator outside so the smell would be lessened.

I bet it would be worth the trouble. I am going to do it, without a doubt. Not only for post-partum depression that I have a tendency to have, but also b/c my hormones go nuts after birth, I loose all my pg weight in a few days and a severe amount of my hair falls out... I'm thinking that aside from general hormone balance, good milk production, etc., I will be able to lessen these effects as well. That's my hope.

~Julie

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was planning on doing the capsules as well, but chose to eat some instead.

I sauteed it with garlic and onions, lol!!! It was very unappetizing IMO, but at least I can say that I did it. I had had mine in the fridge for about a day.

BUT . . . sadly, I ended up with PPD. The worst I've had after any baby. This was the first baby that I lost hair with, the first baby . . . .just odd!!! I thought everything was gonna be hunkey dorey after my placenta consumption.
I'm better now though!!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsrock
BUT . . . sadly, I ended up with PPD. The worst I've had after any baby. This was the first baby that I lost hair with, the first baby . . . .just odd!!! I thought everything was gonna be hunkey dorey after my placenta consumption.
I'm better now though!!

To take advantage of the placenta's hormone balancing properties though, you have to take it on more of a continual basis than a one-time eating (b/c each time you take it, you get the hormone balance). What you did probably gave your body/milk supply a boost and slowed your bleeding... but for mood stabilization, it's really best to take it in capsule form. At least this is what I have read and seen.

I'm sorry you sufferend with PPD, that just is so sad... it's an awful disorder to have and when you're in the midst of it is just so hard. Maybe next time try encapsulating it, I bet you would see a world of difference.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have been concerned about getting PPD this time around....I don't know why its concerning me so much but I really feel the need to do everything I can to prevent it. I am planning on steaming our placenta with a few other ingredients (ginger n'some others for about 20 min...I'll get the recipe if anyones interested) and dehydrating it (outside!) and doing the capsule thing. This a Traditional Chines Medicine recipe. It explaines the need for steaming as well as what the other ingredients add. I've also heard that its great to keep the capsules on hand for illness in both you and your child or anytime the child is going through a big transition. I'd love to hear others experience with taking placenta capsules! I can't imagine eating it or cooking it....I have such a sensitive stomach, I would probably throw up....

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I was also planning to encapsulate em last birth, but ate some instead. I too had ppd. Next birth it will be encapsulated though. I also read about it in a traditional chinese medicine article that capsules continually taken throughout postpartum is best for hormonal balance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just can't get this into my head. I've been really reading all of these posts and the thought just makes me gag. I may think about drying some out and putting it in capsules, but the thoughg of eating ANY human flesh makes my skin crawl. DH and I were talking about it and I know that if I really had to eat it to stop the bleeding, I would, but I just can't get over the 'ick' factor of it.

How did you guys get past that?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Not sure how to explain it, but the deeper I get into my UC the more "normal" it seems. And I will do just about anything to head off PPD, since my anxiety disorder is all reved up this pregnancy (as it was with my dd....who is the baby I got PPD with).

I read somewhere that it was better to eat it fresh. Now I am hearing capsules. Anyone know for sure or have personal experience?

Quote:
I am planning on steaming our placenta with a few other ingredients (ginger n'some others for about 20 min...I'll get the recipe if anyones interested) and dehydrating it (outside!) and doing the capsule thing.
I would LOVE this recipe if you would be willing to PM it to me.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
When I made my placenta smoothie, I drank a lil' bit each day for a bunch of days and slowly weaned my way off of the placenta. From my reading, consuming the placenta will prevent the sudden drop of hormones that is 'normal' after birth. Now, if you eat your whole placenta in one sitting, you will postpone this drop, but only temporarily.

Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyD
When I made my placenta smoothie, I drank a lil' bit each day for a bunch of days and slowly weaned my way off of the placenta. From my reading, consuming the placenta will prevent the sudden drop of hormones that is 'normal' after birth. Now, if you eat your whole placenta in one sitting, you will postpone this drop, but only temporarily.

Does that make any sense?
AmyD, did you freeze the placenta for the smoothies? cut it up in pieces beforehand? oh, and how long did before you had consumed it all?
i really want to eat the placenta, but the thought of cooking it seems really unnatural to me (and just plain grosses me out, i've been veggie for 8+ years). dehydrating it and putting it in capules really appeals to me but i don't think i'll have the time/energy to do it. so smoothies may be the only way i get it down...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
There is a whole discussion 'bout it in the UC remedy thread. I probably have more info there as I tend to forget

But my son was born a tad before 5pm and at around 7 or 8 pm I started stripping the membranes from the placenta and then cutting it into smallish pieces--only b/c my blender was a piece of crap. If I had a good blender, I could have left them into larger pieces.

The smoothie was delicious and not bloody at all. I only used 1/3 of the placenta and used some for a tincture, but in retrospect, I'll smoothie the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellym
I just can't get this into my head. I've been really reading all of these posts and the thought just makes me gag. I may think about drying some out and putting it in capsules, but the thoughg of eating ANY human flesh makes my skin crawl. DH and I were talking about it and I know that if I really had to eat it to stop the bleeding, I would, but I just can't get over the 'ick' factor of it.

How did you guys get past that?
I'm with you. I know in an emergency that I would give it a try, but I can't get past the human body part of it! Like, if I cut my finger off, I would not eat it or if I had something removed (like my liver or something) I would not eat it. It is part of me. It just really gags me to think of eating myself.

I am all for UC, and always into very natural stuff, but still can not bring myself to even consider this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
i really want to eat the placenta, but the thought of cooking it seems really unnatural to me (and just plain grosses me out, i've been veggie for 8+ years).
This has amazed me too. Seems that so many on here are vegetarians but will eat the placenta. I'm not a vegetarian and love my meat, but just can't stomach this. It seems so cannabalistic. LOL Again, if I HAD to, I will, but only to stop the bleeding or whatnot. Definitely not 'just because'. lol

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The reason that vegetarians would be willing to eat placenta is that nothing died to make it available.

But as far as the cannibalism thing, I guess I figure that our taboos against cannibalism are because of the way it spreads disease. (mad cow, cruetzfield-jacob type stuff). When you eat your own placenta, you already have whatever it might have. Also, most animals do not eat members of their own family/species under normal circumstances but do eat their placentas.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If you've ever experienced ppd or hemmorhaging, the "ick" factor doesn't seem to matter anymore.

I was bleeding a lot after the birth, and my placenta wasn't out yet, even with breastfeeding. When I finally got it out (because it was so uncomfortable in there), I immediately broke off a small chunk (dime sized) and quickly rubbed it under my tongue and then threw it down my throat (literally
). I drank a big glass of water and ate some fruit to get the taste out of my mouth. It tastes like blood, and thats it. lol.

I think eating it fresh works best for bleeding issues, but taking it continuously in capsules is easier for staving off ppd. (See, here comes the "ick" factor again...I can only throw a chunk down my throat so many times lol, so I'd rather do the capsules if it's going to be continuous).

If you google Chinese Medicine Placenta Capsules you should find recipes/instructions....lemme see if I still have my link. brb.

THere was this thread in the PPD forum awhile back
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=361394

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shell024
If you've ever experienced ppd or hemmorhaging, the "ick" factor doesn't seem to matter anymore.
That's how I feel about the post-partum depression thing. It gets rid of the "ick" factor FAST for me. I suffered PPD something awful and to the point of hearing voices with my first for 6 months... I never, ever, ever want to repeat that, ever. I'd rather do anything (almost) to assure that I won't get PPD this time... and drying something that I won't taste and I made... that seems ok. It's gross to think about it, a bit, but so is if I think about any other body thing like that you know? Even chewing your food is kind of disgusting if you think about it long enough!

~Julie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.