Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are experimenting with eating vegetarian at my house. Right now we are omnivores. We are going to start with a week at a time. We are going to keep dairy and eggs in right now. Soy is out. What things do I need to add to my kitchen so I can eat at home easily. We have all the normal baking ingredients, I shop for produce frequently. Also any good starter veggie meals we should try. We like asian, mexican, italian, greek but not so much indian.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Buy a rice cooker and make sure you have fresh rice available at all times.

I do a lot of "convenience" vegan cooking. I figure it is better to be a lazy vegan than not a vegan
. Cambell's has a tomato soup concentrate that is vegan, I use this as an ingredient (not necessaily as soup) in many things. Basically it is sweetened tomato paste.

For "instant" baked beans, I combine one can of this with a large can of drained and rinsed beans; 1/3 cup of mollasses and 1/3 cup olive oil, and 1/2 a tsp of salt. Stir well, no need to heat it except per portion in the microwave. I serve this over the warm rice. You can add corn kernels, herbs like cilantro, diced french fries, etc.

I also have a frier which I use almost exclusively for french fries. I don't eat anything fried but I do make it for my kids.

Buy chinese takeout as much as you can afford to, so that you can "learn" from their cooking and how they put things together.

hth---

Oh, and if you are a starting vegan, have lots of vegan treats available at first so that you don't feel deprived. When we first started out I had vegan chocolate cake available at all times
. We don't anymore, but I would make it upon request.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm not a vegan - I'm a veggie so I apologize if I give non-vegan suggestions

Barilla Plus is a flax-based pasta which is high in protein, Omega 3's and fiber. It is indistinguishable from regular semolina pasta - absolutely delish! I love italian food so at least 3 nights a week I make pasta and pile on the following:

sauteed zucchini, yellow squash, diced tomatoes, garlic;
sauteed broccoli, pine nuts, a little bit o' soy sauce;
any veggie, garlic, parmesean cheese

etc.

Sometimes I do a fake carbonara with eggs and fakin' (it's a soy bacon).

I make eggplant parmesean, baked ziti, veggie lasagna. Gee, can you tell I love Italian food
. I'm not even Italian - can I convert?

I also make homemade fried rice with zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, any veggie you like, lots of garlic, sesame seeds and an egg. It is amazing! Use brown rice, it's healthier than white. Or forget about the health and go for the good stuff!

·
Registered
21 Posts
What great ideas! I am seriously considering going vegan or at least, vegetarian. I just get sooo overwhelmed at the thought of doing "double meals" for a family that has been conditioned to expect meat, dairy, eggs, etc.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee
Buy a rice cooker and make sure you have fresh rice available at all times.
I have a rice cooker, but it seems to only cook plain white rice. It says you can't add other incredients to the cooker and there is no setting for it to cook the longer time needed for brown rice or other types of rice. Can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced rice cooker that has so versitility to it.

Thanks,
Kathi

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Great! We have been vegetarian for years. I just discoverd quinoa. It is a supergrain that is very healthy. It cooks in just 15 minutes and is like a cross between barley and couscous in taste and texture. I am having some right now! Yummy.

Also, do not forget your Flax oil and your B12 supplement in fortified foods and drinks.

The animals, the Earth and starving people all over the world thank you

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
If you make your own pasta dough, you can make ravioli filled with veggie stuff like mashed eggplant, artichoke hearts, and pine nuts.

We stir fry alot but mix it up by throwing in stuff like pineapple and using a peanut sauce.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
but I am seriously considering it.

Here are my easy veg meals:

Quinoa with sesame seeds, ginger soy sauce and 2 leaves of chopped up kale

Pasta sauce with eggplant, carrots, mushrooms

brown rice with chickpeas italian dressing 1 tbs sesame seeds cucumbers green beans and red peppers if available

Honey lentils on brown rice with various root veggies

Roasted root veggies, yum!

I make huge crockpots of beans then drain and freeze (I do black beans, chickpeas, kidney beans this way) in smaller portions so they thaw quickly.

I always have lentils and salad fixings.

I always keep tortilla chips and salsa on hand sometimes avocadoes if I can find them affordably (plus I can thaw those chickpeas and make a hummus dip quickly) to tide us over until the longer cooking things like brown rice are done.

Black bean pasta with lots of cilantro.......oh yummy!

Liz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts