Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my fist, I had a struggle to ebf- did until she was almost three- but I was tired, sick and underweight. I thought this was a bf problem and did recover some of my weight after weaning. I am in the same boat now but sicker and was just diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. It is celiac disease, so in 6 months without gluten I may heal, but since I have had it undiagnosed for 39 years it may not happen so easily.

It is a struggle to provide the milk and keep my own health up-I struggle with bone pain and aches and fatigue- my anemia never responded to vitamins and at least now I know why.

Is any one else ebf with a chronic illness and how do you do it? I simply can't rest and eat better- that doesn't do it.

My ds is 19 months and he nurses a lot- he also has food intolerances and gets his major nutrition from me...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have hyperthyroid and tend to have trouble hanging onto weight at times. I also get fatigued easily , hae sore muscles and sometimes have trouble sleeping. To keep up the milk supply I just drink Mother's Milk tea and try to stay hydrated. I'm so used to nursing Emily that not nursing her will be really strange. I wish I had more advice for you. Big hugs!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't have a chronic illness but just wanted to say I have some inkling of how tough a road this is for you, having just nursed my sick (vomiting and diarrhea) toddler, who decided that breastmilk was the only substance that would pass his lips, through a really bad bout of vomiting and diarrhea myself. I would get up to puke and then he would puke and then I would clean him up and then we would nurse... over and over... wanted to die! I think I would have been really in trouble if it had lasted much longer, I couldn't keep any fluids down. I felt bruised afterwards, and the joint aches and fatigue you mention.

My ds also has food allergies and so like you I am determined to nurse him for a long time, as much as possible. I applaud your strength! Just try to hang in there for as long as you can, just try to stay as hydrated as possible, and hope for the day when your celiac disease gets under control.

It makes me proud to be a mother, to see that there are mothers like you who are willing to do really difficult things for the benefit of their child.

Elizabeth
ds 7-2-02
dd 12-24-00

1 - 5 of 5 Posts