Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a fairly new ECer, but given the added intrest, I figure we'll give new mamas a place to start! So fellow ECers please join me in dishing out any tips or philosophies on EC for interested mamas.

To me, Elimination Communication is merely communicating about baby's needs to eliminate. The communication goes both ways- you need to listen to your child, and also communicate back to them when it is an appropriate time to eliminate. ECing consists of ffering them the oportunity to eliminate in an appropriate place (ie. a potty, and hence offering your baby a "pottytunity") either when babe is showing signs that they need to go, or when babe typically has to pee according to their typical patterns, or when you're near a potty and know that it may be a while 'til they can have another pottytunity. It can be taken in any extreme that the mama-baby team feels comfortable with. You can try 'catching' that first morning pee and call it an EC day, or you can do full-on nakey bum, and anywhere in between!

There are certain times in your baby's daily rutines that you're more likely to have a successful 'catch'. Typically first thing waking up in the morning (arguably AFTER a goodmorning nurse), waking up after naps, and a few (10-15) minutes after a large nursing session. These are generally good times to offer a pottytunity and to test the EC waters if you're interested and want to give it a try.

Everyone has their own way of starting, for me our first 24 EC hours were completely diaper free, and not all that messy, but then life kicked in and I diapered without a cover for a few days. During those days I started making a 'pssss' sound EVERY time I noticed my 5.5mo DS pee. If he was peeing in a diaper I'd cue him ('pssss') if he was peeing on the floor, or even on my lap I cued him. Consistancy is key! After a couple of days of getting in tune with his patterns (I couldn't see any of his signs that he had to pee for well over a month- in the begining it was purely timing) I would take him to the tub and cue him- psssss, and if he had to pee he would! He had quickly learnt that pssss meant it was time to pee. I eventually needed a seperate cue for poops, and do a slow, low-tones "poooopies.....*ugh*" and be sure to offer plenty of time on the potty when I cue a poop....unless it's clear he doesn't have to, and a potty's not where he wants to be.

We started part-time diapering for the first week or two and I realised I wasn't being consistant. SOmetimes I'd diaper him *just in case* but still expect him to communicate to me that he needed to eliminate, and other times I'd diaper him because we weren't going to EC right now, but would then get upset if we had a miss in a 'just in case' diaper. I was sending some very mixed messages! It was then that I realised in order for this to work *for us* we had to go full-on nakey bum and we had to start somewhere. I all of a sudden felt ready and at peace with any messes that would come along with it. DS thrived with the consistency of me having no saftey net. Nakey bum was the right thing for us!

Diapering and offering a pottytunity at each change is also a great form of EC- like I said, it can be taken to any extreme that the duo feels comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some tips:

-Babies pee less (if ever) while being worn.
-There are lots of places you can 'potty' your child: tub, sink, toilet, potty, bush, tree, fence, plastic bowl/container between your knees etc.
-Most of our accidents happen when I put baby down to get something done. Lay a prefold or some absorbant something under them when in the carseat, highchair, swing, etc.
-Vinegar is good at cleaning pee
-There are good days and bad, and that's okay!
-Some of our cues now incluse: squirming when beign worn, a spontaeous fussyness, rubbing eyes, sudden blank stare, pausing to look down at his penis, and his penis gets considerably 'fuller' when he needs to pee.
-when out- anywhere where it's suitable for a dog to pee, it's suitable for DS to pee (as long as he's being respected and is comfortable there)
-Another mama said she tries to think of it as though she has 2 5yr olds (since she had a babe and a 5yr old). THat's stuck with me- you'd never expect a 5yr old to *just go* in their diaper. Your babe's needs need to be respected and responded to at whatever age.
-DOn't "just finish this one thing up" then offer the potty- respond to your childs' needs asap! ECing gets your priorities straight and FAST!!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THought of more:

-That warm sensation you get across your lap when you *think* your child is peeing on you, but in fact they're not- take them to the potty- they just may have to go.
-Whenever it crosses your mind that they may have to pee- try them!
-Whenever they've jus teliminated on the floor- it may be a warning shot, and there's likely more to come- take them to the potty to finish up

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Question--if you go full-time nakey-bum at home, what do you do when you go out (say, to the grocery store, and what about somewhere you'll be for a few hours)? Waterproof training pants? Diapers? I'm thinking about switching from coverless diapers at home to more training pants --non-waterproof at home and waterproof when out-- to help with consistency.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was diapering when out for the first bit, but decided I trusted myself and my son enough to just do it. I wanted to be able to go completely diaper-free an dfigured that had to start somewhere. We babywear when out, so his signs are just as clear- if not CLEARER when we're out. At first when I was diapering my mindset was that I felt almost ashamed to let other people know that we were ECing, I felt embarassed that I'd have to EC in public, and that if we had a miss that would just go to show all the skeptics that EC doesn't work and shame on me for even trying- really, what did you think would happen taking a 6 mo old out diaper-free; Babies need diapers!

I eventually came to peace with the fact that we just may have a miss smack dab in the middle of the mal, or on the bus, or at a checkoutl and both be pee soaked with a huge mess on our hands...the first few times I brought an extra shirt for myself and a change of clothes for him. But we've never had a miss while out in our 2 diaper-free mos. He WILL however gladly pee in his carseat- this is slowly changing now, but if we take the car out, then it's there that he'll likely pee as opposed to while he's being worn.

I've found it to be a lot like NIP and you get used to it in time, and eventually the views of other ppl don't matter- the needs of your child do! While we're out for walks (which we almost always are- we rarely drive) I just find an alley or duck in somewhere somewhat private and allow him to pee on a tree or fence...one mama on here said that if it's okay for a dog to pee there, then it's okay for my kid to pee there....and that's kind of my mantra for peeing him in public (and dealing with other people's thoughts about me peeing a baby- I still respect him and offer him as much shelter and as appropriate of a place as possible, but to deal with what other people will think, I tell myself, it would be socially acceptable for a dog to pee here, baby pee's no worse). I also keep him naked from the waste down in the sling, so peeing is super quick and easy.

If we're somewhere like a restraunt, then I'll bring a folding potty seat, or I'm just getting good at holding him over the potty and hitting the toilet bowl, so I can do it seat-free now. If I'm visiting someone I'll bring a potty or toilet insert if it's an all-day thing. I was at a baptismal party at someones house though, so I brought a potty, but I still diapered him in the event that he'd be being helpd by a lot of people, and I may be distracted, etc (he stayed dry the whole day since I offered him the potty every couple of hours). So there are circumstances where diapering is called for, I think, but they are few and far between.

Wow, that turned in to a small novel. I hope you take something out of that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What does NIP stand for?

Also, I have been trying to figure out what all the smilies mean, and don't understand these ones from the clues on the smilie list. I just like to know - can anyone explain these?
:
:
:adina:
("that's true"?)
What about the "dp" in 'dp female/malesling'?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NIP is Nursing In Public

THe first smilie is just saying that MDC(MotheringDotCommune- this site) Rocks.

The second means No Circumsision

The third and fourth are various religions (that I'm not personally familiar with)

The fifth is a NAK one (Nursing at Keyboard)

And I don't know about the rest. Aside from the last one which is used to agree what a PP (Previous Poster) said.

and DP is probably "Dear Partner" like DH, DS, and DD are all, dear Husband, dear son, Dear daughter respectively.

There is a thread that has all the shortforms listed at the top of the mainpage.

ETA (Edited To Add): Here it is! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ead.php?t=2080

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am new at EC and haven't posted in this forum but I'd like to add a few things. For those thinking about EC with a newborn it isn't as difficult as you would think. I have heard that it is too hard since newborns eliminate more frequently but as long as you listen to your baby and your intuition you won't have many problems. I have a 3 week old and a 19 month old (who I am starting to teach about the potty) and I am proud to say that today I have only had 1 wet diaper on the baby (the toddler is a whole other story!!)! Like a prior post said don't delay a trip to the potty if you are busy and some type of potty bowl is a must to use when nursing. Always remember each day is a new day and some days will be more difficult than others!

Happy ECing,
Sarah

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stick with your diapers- just offer a pottytunity at a diaper change- see how it goes and how many DRY diapers you go to change eventually.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I wish I had more tips to share but we're pretty new at it here!

I started with my DS2 when he was 2wks old and he's just 7wks old now, so I've only got about a months worth of experience.

I thought it might be messy too but I've spent MUCH LESS time cleaning poop now!
Poop in the potty is easily flushed/rinsed away verses having to wipe off a poopy little fanny and then clean/swish a poopy cloth diaper... I've found that I have much less "hands on" time with poop and pee with us ECing.

I haven't done any nakey butt. My little guy wears a cloth diaper (fitted or prefold with a snappi) and no cover. That way I know AS He's peeing...and it helps me learn his signs. I change his diaper and always take him to potty after a diaper change. That way we're consistant.

My "problem" is that I get distracted caring for my other 2 kids and whatever it is we're doing and I don't take my infant to relieve himself as often as he needs to.

·
Registered
674 Posts
In addition to some really great suggestions already made how about:

-if you smell pee, take dc to the potty. Like the warm sensation, anything that would cause you to check to see if the dipe, pants, etc are wet, should be a clue that they might be soon. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

-Never ever say, "But you just went." Particularly if the just having gone was a "miss" there might be more to do. My ds will have a few little pees before he can let go of a poo.

-wear your baby

-Go with a level of protection you're comfortable with. I've found that I have fewer misses when ds is wearing a diaper. Maybe because I'm more relaxed and in my reception is better that way, who knows, but it's a fact.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wow, there are some great tips here. We're 4 months into EC, started at 3.5 months, and have been doing better and better since the first catch.
The tip about pottying them even after a miss is really important - ds almost always finishes after the warning pee.
I think the easiest way to start is to just be nakey at home. Just take them when you think they need to go. It's that simple. You will fall into a routine and communication just as you have with nursing. It will come so naturally. It will work so well, you'll wonder why the heck everyone isnt doing it.

And I 2nd what the pp said about it being so much less messy. Every time I catch a poop I am so thankful we do this. One quick wipe with toilet paper and he's clean. It's not all over him. It's at those time that I have an epiphany - this is how nature designed elimination to be. How enlightening.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vermont mom
What does NIP stand for?

Also, I have been trying to figure out what all the smilies mean, and don't understand these ones from the clues on the smilie list. I just like to know - can anyone explain these?
:
:
:adina:
("that's true"?)
What about the "dp" in 'dp female/malesling'?

Thank you

Off Topic: HI, I wanted to let you know the two pics of the ladies, like the ones in my siggy
is for those who practice Islam, the women cover their heads and the one next to it the other lady is an Orthodox Jewish woman, they also cover their heads, but they tie it in back to cover their hair, Muslim women cover their hair, neck and ears. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for clarifying that!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maggie is 7.5 weeks, and we've been semi ecing since the begining. We take her when she gets up, and whenver we notice she needs to go. I cue her even if I don't make it to the potty. We're getting pretty good, that is on a good day.
I leave her naked with a prefold under her most of the time. Sometimes I put her in fuzzi bunz without the insert.but if going out we still use diapers....I'm just not that brave yet....how long did it take everyone else to get to this point?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't notice anywhere else to rave about my recent trials with EC, and I don't really have tips since we are so new at it, but maybe someone can get something out of my experience since I got so much out of reading everyone else's (Thank you so much, you've all given me the confidence to dive in!)

I stumbled across the book Diaper Free about 1.5 weeks ago and after reading the first section, I couldn't possibly forget it all and not give it a "try".

This past Monday, I thought I might be ready... not knowing how I was going to observe my little one (she doesn't like to be put down for long) I decided to put her in her diaper without a cover and in my wrap (carrier) so I could "feel" if she went pee...

On Tuesday I gave it the full day to observe, and also tried to hold her over the sink around feeding times. I caught 9 pees and 2 poos (in the sink)!!! That was really encouraging and I started to read my baby's cues as well. If I try to take her away from the sink too early (if she has more than one to do), she cries out and I hold her again. Today will be my 3rd day and I've already caught 8 pees and a poo! What someone said about a few pees before letting go of a poo seems to be the case for my dd as well.

I am so amazed at how well dd can communicate her elimination needs to me already! When she is snoozing in my wrap, she will stir and cry out... if I take her to the sink, she pees... amazing... It is also good to know what these cries have been about since we always just attributed them to gas before! I'm so glad I didn't just pass this up as something that was too hard or too time consuming.

And as for clean up... pee diapers are easy when I have the misses, but thankfully I have not had to clean a poo diaper since we started... oh, we are also going nakey at night... she sleeps on a towel on top of a waterproof mat, and I notice she'll stir between feedings and pee (haven't caught those yet since I am usually still in sleep mode).

For those of you that want to know, she is 9.5 weeks old.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
but if going out we still use diapers....I'm just not that brave yet....how long did it take everyone else to get to this point?
My older child keeps me so busy and distracted most of the time that if I'm not wearing DD (which is often the case now that she is very mobile) I miss a lot of pees. Therefore she is in a prefold turned into a fitted without a cover most of the time unless she takes it off.
She's always been in diapers when we go out, but I also EC her when we go out. I treat the diaper like underwear not like a regular diaper and allowing her to sit in her own mess. We use the BBLP in the car or the public restroom and sometimes even the grass/shrubs.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I love this thread. Its just what I needed to try to get me to start up with DS2. I really really want to EC him and I still feel so overwhelmed now-he is 9 weeks. I feel like I've forgotten everything I've read about EC in the past and don't know how to begin. I change SUPER frequently and we were coverless for the first week or so. I cue whenever I notice a pee now but I also use covers a lot. I need help to change my diapering ways! I've really got to relax and just be ok with messes but honestly, there is SO much to clean up around here that the idea of more is freaking me out.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts