Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a weekend at a hotel where using disposable diapers was a far better option than hauling cloth in and out, because the goal of the weekend was going to 6 hours of training. This let me learn some things about ECing with sposies.

Sposies can be unfastened and refastened, at least Huggies can.
If you have a bit of a miss (the Huggies have a yellow stripe that turns blue so you can check for a bit of pee even if it isn't wet enough to feel wet) you can potty the baby into the diaper just like you can with cloth.

It's totally weird not to change right away, but it was very helpful this weekend.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
oh, yeah, it totally does work; I didn't realized people thought it wouldn't since it's what we used as 1st time ECers.

We started EC when my oldest was 8 wks old and were major 'sposie users - 1st time parents, lived in an apartment w/ shared coin-op laundry, etc. We actually switched to Pull-Ups after a few months, since they could be opened if needed but were easier to get on and off. Plus, they folded down to be shorter and had the color change images when they got wet - which was really helpful when DS1 started cruising at 6 mo old.

I did eventually design and make Poquito Pants for us to use, since I hated throwing away disposables that had a teaspoon of pee in them (but couldn't bear to re-use those either and hadn't thought of using them as a potty at that point), though we kept using the Pull-Ups for outings almost until he was a grad at 2 yrs old.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We used pull-ups for travel once our oldest was big enough to fit in them, so ~18 months to grad.

But when you're looking up stuff on EC, you just don't see anyone talking about using sposies at all. Hopefully this thread will help folks who can't do cloth for whatever reason see that they could do EC. =D

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
oh, yes, and thank you for posting it :)

I am so far from the ECing world now (my kids are soon to be 16 & 12 and I am sewing my very last order of Poquito Pants and trying to sell the company) so I feel a little out of touch with what is common knowledge. It used to be that all the ECers of the internet world were on the one Yahoo group (that started back in 2000 when my oldest was born) but now there are a zillion small EC groups and I forget that not everyone knows each other ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts