Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br><br>
My dd has been diaperless (more or less) since she was a few weeks old and when she was younger it was really easy to know when she needed to go (being in the sling so much) and she was bare-bottemed most of the day and things were great. ;-) Then when she was around 10 months old we went on vacation to Holland (I live in Israel which is WARM) and it was too cold to have her without pants and as I also did not have the possibility to do washing I used disposible diapers (yukk!). I still tried to catch the most obvious pees and poops but she used the diapers also.<br>
Then when we came home she did not want me to hold her in her peeing position. She just screams - sometimes I wait a few moments and then she pees if she has to but while screaming. That gives me such a horrible feeling and I have been leting her go wherever. She goes mainly outside if the doors are open so I know she is aware of what she needs to do but she does not tell me in any way.<br>
I have tried introducing a potty but she will not have it. Pooing we now do in the toilet when I sit backwards on it and she in my arms (I could not hold her over the sink anymore - she is too heavy and it just hurt my back too much).<br>
But even with the poo we are getting worse - I mean since she was a few weeks old till a few weeks ago she maybe soiled a diaper 5/6 times. Now it happens nearly daily.<br>
Now it became colder here also and my dh is very much against having her walk around bare-bottomed in the cold (we have tiles in the livingarea so the floor is realy cold to sit on I must admit). I leave her naked sometimes during mid-day when the sun is out sometimes but most of the time she is with a cloth-diaper now (if I do not feel like changing her trousers all the time).<br>
What would you do? Is there any advantage of having her in trousers as opposed to cloth-diapers? (sometimes I have her in trousers but when I change them all day long I ask myself why I am making my life so difficult - KWIM ;-) )Do you recognise these 'strikes' or is it not a strike and so most kids go through this fase (she is walking full-time now).<br>
Somehow I expected EC to become easier when she would be older but it is not.<br>
Oh and I do always signal as well but she does not use any of the signals actively (yet).<br><br>
Thanks for ay input!!!<br>
Esther<br>
Yonathan 12/25/01<br>
Maya 11/3/03

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
From what I've read, that's typical of kids her age. My dd went through a similar phase. She started to complain more about being taken to pee when she was around 9 months (when she also started to complain about getting dressed or undressed or put into her carseat.) Then starting at about 11 months, we began to have a lot more misses. That difficult period lasted till she was about 14-15 months, then things gradually began to improve, and by 18 months, EC was going better than ever.<br><br>
During our difficult period, I found that if I really put some effort into it, I could keep the misses down to a reasonable level. I had to always keep in mind how long it had been since dd had peed, and when she'd probably need to go again (since she rarely signalled), and I used every trick I could think of to keep her from complaining when I tried to get her to pee. I found that it usually worked best not to say anything to her about what I was doing, but just pick her up and take her to the bathroom or potty while trying to distract her with some game or song or toy or nursing, then quickly slip her pants off and hold her over the sink or put her on the potty before she had a chance to think about it and start complaining.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wanted to respond to this post but I think it would be a mostly clueless response because my child is only 4 months and Ecing is new to me.CAn you sew?? How about the split trousers we were talking about?? ALso I was wondering how about longer gowns that you can get from the EC store or make?? She could run around without being cold and it would be so much easier to get on and off the potty. The other thing I think would be cool is to try a potty doll. Have her take the potty doll to the potty and then ask her to show the potty doll how it works. She is young enough that much of it wouldn't be understood but it would be a fun game for you to model to her and who knows she might like it. Another option might be to let her pee in the tub standing etc or to let her have a special toy on the potty to help her want to stay on it. Have you thought about doing picacho pullups instead of diapers so that they can whip on and off like panties???<br><br>
Good luck mamma and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advise!<br><br>
Isn't is funny how is seems that when you ask for help on a certain subject your baby changes his/her behaviour overnight and the problem basically 'solved' itself....??? :)<br>
Anyway - in the last few days she seemed to be signaling much better (like standing near the door and crying for my attention - when I took off her diaper she went right over to the fras and peed!!!!!!). I also tried to take her now and then and offer her to pee outside (her favorite spot at the moment).<br>
So we are still with diapers but keeping them dry fo much longer so that is something as well.<br><br>
Daffodil - I was very reassured by your post and it is good to know that is seems that most kids go through this and that it will pass (hmmmm, don't all stages...) It gave me the strength to continue and not 'give up' completely now - which is something that I think no-one can do once you start ec and link in to your child in this way. Once you are aware of something you cannot simply igore it - like I always know when she pees even with a diaper on.<br><br>
CJ 5 - You mentioned the pants with open crutches - the funny thing is that she pees like a boy, standing up and she is quite good at it (not too much dripping on the legs). Guess she is copying her big brother!!<br>
And she does NOT like her potty at all - actually her big brother also passed the potty stage completely and went straight to the 'big' toilet.<br><br>
Thanks again for your encouragment!!<br>
Esther

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>esther74</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Isn't is funny how is seems that when you ask for help on a certain subject your baby changes his/her behaviour overnight<br>
Esther</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
happens to me ALL THE TIME<br><br>
luckily dd's potty pause lasted only a week or so but we still have times when things are (far) less than perfect. but the difference is that i am not bothered anymore. yes sometimes i am changing her pants all day but that is fine. to me the distinction btw diapers and clothes has blurred - i dont use disposables or the bulky cloth diapers that are supposed to be like disposables. i do sometimes put diapers on her but never covers, not even at night our out of the house. so she always gets changed immediately if there is an accident.<br><br>
anyway, the long and short of it is, if you can work things out so that you dont have to worry about soiling carpets and the like, and your laundry isn't TOO overwhelming (but whose isn't), you can relax and pretend you never heard of diapers and this is just the way life is. you know that she CAN signal, just that other things are taking up her attention right now. a few "oopsies" are probably all she needs to get the message.<br><br>
keep in touch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts