Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child" that you can give children Echinacea for a cold. I think they are talking about a liquid form if it, but I have some capsules, does anyone know if I can open one up and mix it with a smoothie or something, and how much to give her? Each capsule is 400mg and it says for adults to take 3, 3xs a day.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't see why mixing the powder in a smoothie wouldn't work. At home, I have a chart showing how to convert herbal dosages for toddlers/children. Right now I'm on vacation and can't access it. If you want me to send it to you, just send me a pm and I'll do that when I get home again.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
The book is probably refering to an Echinacea tincture. Rosemary Gladstar usually recommends that you do a small-dose test first to see if the herb works for your child and does not cause an allergic reaction. Most tinctures are usually alchohol based, but some are vinegar/glycerine based. There is a line called "Herbs for Kids" that I understand may be available in some health food stores (outside of making your own, of course).

Rosemary lists two in her book: Young's rule and Cowling's rule.

Young's rule: Add 12 to the child's age. Divide the child's age by this total. ex, the dosage for a four year old: 4/16=.25 or 1/4 of the adult dose.

Cowling's Rule: Divide the number of the child's next birthday by 24. ex, the dosage for a child who is three, turning four years old: 4/24=.16 or 1/6 of the adult dosage.

Rosemary does list the powdered form in her discussion of Echinacea and says that it can be added directly to food or drinks. The key is to take frequent, small doses. HTH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.