Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had experience ECing a little baby in public restrooms when you are out? This is when we have most of our misses. Any tips/stories would be appreciated.

Sarah

·
Registered
162 Posts
What about the prefold in the plastic bag trick? I read that in the ec for newbies thread and it has worked well for us. I just hold baby in the seated position or kind of cradled while I stand and hold the bag right underneath him. Does that make sense or answer your question?

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
i know this seems crazy, but i practiced with someone else's baby recently.

i was baby sitting for a non-EC friend. i watched the baby for a whole day with diapers and i think i 'got' the signal. the next day, i went to 'sit' again (baby is about 6 mo old?) and i saw the signal.

i bought a collapsable bowl that lays flat. when i started to see the signs, i took the baby to the restroom, went into the private toilet area, and then popped out the bowl. I held the baby (as shown on the diaper-free-baby website), unsnapped the pants, only removed one leg of the diaper (to pull it aside), and then caught the poo and pee in the bowl! I didn't trust myself to hold her over the toilet!

then, dumped the contents into the toilet and flushed, wiped and dressed the baby, wiped down the bowl quickly with TP and flushed, then rinsed the bowl quickly in the sink and put it back into the bag i'd brought it in. I washed my hands and the baby's hands, explaining to hre that you wash hands after going to the bathroom, and then we went on our way.

i think she was as surprized as i was. LOL seriously, i was proud of myself. LOL

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I've never ECed one so young, but we've done lots of public pottying!

Babywearing is key for us, and I find I'm even more aware of his needs when we're out- in our 4 mos of being diaper-free he's never had a miss while out (except for in the carseat).

When we're outside I don''t hesitate to pee my guy on a tree or fence or back of a building, dumpster, back tire of car (although I aim to miss), etc. Took some getting used to, but it's a lot like NIP, you learn to ignore the rest of the world and societal norms and do what you need to do to meet the needs of your baby.

For a long while (few months- we started at 5.5mos) a pee in the carseat was inevitable when we were out- that has since changed though.

When we're in a building I would use a colabsable potty seat not this one, but kinda the same idea.

ETA: easy on/off clothing is key too- we go naked from the waist down if he'll just be staying in the sling/carrier.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Thought of another- what if you sat on the toilet with a potty bowl between your knees?

I think you were looking more for tips about how to read your baby when out, so for that I say babywear
- other than that- I dunno??

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eirual

When we're outside I don''t hesitate to pee my guy on a tree or fence or back of a building, dumpster, back tire of car (although I aim to miss), etc. Took some getting used to, but it's a lot like NIP, you learn to ignore the rest of the world and societal norms and do what you need to do to meet the needs of your baby.
I do this too. My baby refuses to pee in her carseat so far so I put a prefold in the carseat and then put her in their naked from the waist down- when she complains I will pull over and cue her to pee in aparking lot and then get back on the road. I can't believe I'm even writing this. Babies are smart!!
I thought urinating in public might be illegal or something though so I'm always paranoid when I cue her to pee in public. Anyone know for sure? Probably different for different areas right?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by APMomOfKimmyN-Maya
I thought urinating in public might be illegal or something though so I'm always paranoid when I cue her to pee in public. Anyone know for sure? Probably different for different areas right?
I know it is for adults...It would take a pretty lowly law inforcer to ticket you for peeing your baby, IMO! I look it as though- it's okay for a dog to pee there, why is baby pee any worse

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.