Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OB is watching me closely for ectopic pregnancy. Let's leave the diagnosis to them, Ijust have questions for mamas about how the experience may play out from here.
tomorow we should know for sure (another ultrasound try and 3rd HCg level done)

anyway.

Did you expereince a slow rise in pain and bleeding, or was it a sudden start of emergency-level pain?

if it didn't rupture, how did you 1st know something was wrong? what were your HCG numbers doing? how did you feel?

did you treat it with methodroxene (sp?) or with surgery? either way, why did you choose it and how was recovery? how long til you felt normal? how many follow-up medical visits? any complications to watch out for? how about future fertility issues?

thanks!
cchrissyy

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so we found it today by ultrasound. It was in the tube but miscarrying naturally, so no need to intervene now, we'll just watch closely.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My ectopic was in my left tube eight months ago now.

I remember getting my BFP and being over the moon but also cautious as I had had a m/c 6 months prior. The pink spotting started when I was 4 weeks so I immediately thought the worst...I was having another m/c...little did I know, baby had lodged in my left tube. As the spotting started I remember waking up in cramp like left sided agony one morning and went straight to the doc. He wasnt concerned at all
: My hcg started at 1700, then went to 3100, so didnt quite double in two days then I ended up in the ER at 6 weeks with red, heavier bleeding and my hcg at that point was 3400. I spent that 2 weeks crying and going from doc to doc and usound (where they couldnt see anything) and getting pricked with needles every two days and enduring the agonising wait for results.

Eventually (5 hours later) because I wouldnt leave the ER, an usound revealed internal bleeding and a mass on my left side. I was in agony by this stage but my only option was emergency surgery. They said I must have had a high pain threshold - well actually I didnt, they just didnt believe me
. Too late for methotrexate. They saved my left tube but dont hold out much hope on it working at all. I am now ttc (in my first month) and am TERRIFIED but I also know I have to remain hopeful.

Is your doc keeping a close watch on your levels? Rupture can occur at any hcg level - everyone is different. Will you need methotrexate or is it resolving itself? Mama I wish you hugs and support - it is hard to lose a baby through miscarriage. I hope your body knows what to do and that you recover safely and gently....

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hmm - just experienced an ectopic this past week and am still a bit shell-shocked about the whole thing. Woke up Tuesday morning and thought I felt a bit crampy, almost like I was ovulating - but knew I had O'd 2 days prior, so dismissed the feeling. Then began to feel gassy and bloated. The day went on, with me getting more and more gassy/bloated, and doing what I could to relieve it. I went on long walks, did a lot of yoga stretches, etc. At 4 PM, I picked up my 13 month old ds from the sitter, and called my dh to come home, as the pain was so bad now that I didn't trust myself to properly care for him should I need to move quickly. He suggested I might be having appendicitis, and did a quick google before heading home.

We headed over to the nearest Kaiser clinic (my new insurance) where they did some blood work and urinalysis. They had also planned an x-ray on my appendix until the urine showed that I was pregnant! I had NO IDEA, and had in fact just had my first AF since the birth of my son, and was temping/charting etc. Well, this changed their approach, and they sent me to the ER as a possible ectopic. The ER did a blood HcG test as well as a vaginal U/S. The hormone levels were only 485, so they still weren't sure if I was just pregnant and experiencing appendicitis, or if this was ectopic, so they called in the OB on-call to double check me. In the hour or so I waited in the ER for him to arrive, I did NOT move. When I didn't move, there was no pain. However, by the time he arrived and lowered the bed for a vag. exam, I was suddenly in EXCRUCIATING pain and also having shoulder pain, which is apparently a common effect when there is internal bleeding (which they had already seen on the U/S, but not told me about so I wouldn't freak out). Anyway... once he got there things really heated up. I needed pain relief and FAST. They gave me Nubane to control the pain, and prepped me for immediate surgery. The surgery went well, and my tube did not rupture. I'm now 6 days after surgery and begining to move around well again and weaning off all meds (slowly). They are still monitoring my HcG levels, as they haven't returned to zero yet - although they are decreasing.

I realize you don't need this info any longer, but when I saw the thread I had to post since the experience was all so fresh for me. We hadn't been trying to conceive, so I'm not sure how I feel about losing the babe - at this point I'm a bit shocked, and just grateful that there doesn't appear to be any damage to my tubes which might affect future pregnancies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.