Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had an ectopic pregnancy before? I am 7 weeks along today and the last few days I've been having an on again, off again sharp pain in my lower right side. I had some last week and said to dh that I thought that's where the baby had implanted.

I was planning a homebirth and going the midwife route but I'm wondering now if I should go ahead and see an OB for this matter. Midwife said just to keep an eye on it and if it became really painful to go ahead and see an OB. I just don't want for my tube to rupture if it is.

With all of the info on the web I couldn't find anything concrete about how many weeks you should truly know if it is ectopic or not. Midwife said 7-8 weeks.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
i had an ectopic in february this year. I started bleeding before i had any real pain though. In fact i didn't even realize i was pregnant until my "period" lasted a month. After about three weeks, so i guess i would have been about seven along, i had extreme pain on my left side. It hurt so bad i could hardly stand or walk or see straight. It was a constant pain, and nothing got rid of it. It was completely different than anything i'd felt before, but i knew it was something bad right away. I ended up going to the er , and it ended up that the pain was from the baby dislodging out of my tubes on its own.
I think you should follow your doctors advice and if it becomes really painful go in to the doctor. They did an ultrasound to see if i had anything in my uterus, and when i did not, they knew for sure it was ectopic. I don't know how you feel about ultrasounds but if your really worried maybe you could get one just to make sure everything is where it should be.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
i had one when i was 18. the pain was horrible. it wasnt a little pain, that came and went. in the beginning, maybe it does...but if you are having a lot of pain, i would try to schedule an US just to take a look. cant hurt. and at 7 weeks, you shouldnt be feeling pain from the pregnancy, yk?

good luck and i hope it isnt ectopic.
s

rach

·
Registered
499 Posts
I heard too that most women get a severe sharp pain in their shoulder when it is ectopic and is going to rupture. Something to look out for anyway.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I had an ectopic and it's not something you want to put off. I thought I might be pregnant but then started bleeding and thought it was just a bad period. Buy the time the pain was really bad my tube had burst and I was bleeding out. The pain came in waves all through my body and it is way worse that labor pains. I would suggest getting an US just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds like in all of your cases that you bled before the tube had started to rupture right? Or was it actually ruptured by that time? I'm really sorry btw that it happened to you and I appreciate your sharing your experience with me.

I was really looking forward to not having an ultrasound or doppler with this pregnancy at all. I've never had an u/s done in the first trimester with either, I've always felt strongly opposed to routine use of them. However, I guess this would not be routine use. It's just that if it's not then I've just exposed my baby to some radiation that is shown to cause cellular change as such an early stage. So I'm just trying to weigh exactly what to do.

I have read from other sites incidentally that the pain can come and go, this midwife told me that as well before I even described my symptoms. Although obviously it can be continuous as well.

It sounds like also your ectopic experiences were just shortly after your period.

The other thing I read is that HCG levels are supposed to be low and I have been very, very sick which makes me think that the hCg levels have been high.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I had an etopic and I bled before I even knew I was pregnant... I bled and bled and had horrible pain... I thought it was the worst period of my life... then I went to the Dr. and they told me I was roughly 7 weeks and that it was caused by my IUD... hugs mama! I hope its not etopic!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I did not bleed before my ectopic but my pain was constant and extreme
I would think at 7 weeks the pain would not go away because of the size of the embryo.
I would just call your MW again and ask for an exam. Mine was diagnosed by my GP, they just have to push in a certain place (like if you had apendicidis, sp???) And it is easy to diagnose. If she presses there and the pain is REALLY bad she would probably recommend a transvaginal U/S.

Keri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts