Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on an ED for 5 days now and I have hit a setback. My 6 month old son has allergic colitis, which was improving (I thought) but this morning he had a very mucousy poop with many streaks of blood. Previously, even when it was bad, there would only be 1 or 2 streaks of blood. So something in my new diet is bothering him. The foods I chose for my diet are:

chicken
chick peas
quinoa
potatoes
spinach
swiss chard (fairly new to my diet)
carrots
apple
pear (irregular in my diet)
millet (new to my diet for this ED)
hemp milk (new to my diet for this ED)
steel-cut (wheat-free) oats (new to my diet for this ED)
raw honey
olive oil, sea salt and pepper

I did not choose sweet potatoes or squashes as I have never eaten or enjoyed them. I guess I wonder if adding a totally new food that mom doesn't even like makes sense or not. I did not include rice as the allergist advised to take that out, even though I don't feel like that was part of the problem.

I also started giving him a new probiotic as well as a tiny amount of coconut oil (I also don't like and have never enjoyed coconut) and a drop of cod liver oil. I guess am going to stop giving him these for now. Should I even stop taking my supplements (Preg Vit prenatal, HMF Forte probiotic, cal/mag and vitamin C, coconut oil, CLO, GSE capsules and digestive enzymes)?

I am so frustrated
: I have been seriously considering buying elemental formula and eating it myself but obviously that would cost too much. I just wish there really was a way to "start from scratch."

Any ideas of what I should take out/add in? Is it possible that he is developing new sensitivities as we go along here?

I know I am eating more than a TED but I just don't know if I could manage it, especially if I have to eat foods that I don't even like (e.g. sweet potato or squash) or if I can't have at least one item from each food group. Any ideas of what I should take out/add in?

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Well, it really could be anything. And although it sounds like a brilliant (but expensive) plan, even drinking the elemental formula yourself might not even work (ask me how I know
).

I would stop all supplements- both yours and his. You should be ok without them for a couple weeks. Then add them back in one at a time just like you would add in foods. Supplements are often the cause of reactions. CLO often has soy added- that could be a problem for him. Coconuts are pretty allergenic, so that could be it.... probiotics are usually dairy-based (unless you got one from Kirkman or Klaire). Vitamin C is almost always made out of corn, and multivitamins or prenatals will have corn and soy derivatives in them.

Your list of foods has quite a few things that are pretty highly allergenic. I personally would lose the chick peas (I wouldn't do any legumes on an ED), potatoes, and spinach. I also would stop any of the 'new' foods in your diet. The last thing you want to do on an ED is start new foods that you've never eaten before.

Definitely do NOT try and eat foods that you don't like for a TED- that will never work. If you wanted to start minimally, you could do like chicken, quinoa, olive oil, pears, sea salt. Or something like that. And if that gets you to baseline (in a week or 2 tops), then add 1 food per week. If it doesn't, switch out foods one at a time- like switch the quinoa for rice, or the chicken for turkey, etc.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I agree with the allergenic foods (chickpeas and potato). And the new foods (now is not the time). Apples are more allergenic than pears, but at least they're in the same food family so you could probably keep both. Have you done beets before? Beets are low allergen (according to our intolerance survey here on MDC) and they get you both the vegetable, the green, and the sugar (so they're versatile). Even the oats are questionable because a lot of people who can't do gluten also can't do oats (whether they're gluten free or not). And yes, I'd also remove the supplements just until you get to baseline. Very difficult, but hopefully it doesn't take too long.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Were you eating any oats before? Just so you know, steel cut are wheat free, but not gluten free, due to cross contamination, unless they specifically say "gluten-free."

Other than that, I agree with Kathy and CS.
Yes, absolutely! IF you decide to keep on with the oats you must find specifically GF oats - all the rest have x-con - even the high quality Irish oats.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I think I would be totally losing it if I didn't have this board to refer to and be able to communicate with other members sharing their similar experiences.

I used to eat packaged organic oatmeal on occasion. What I have available now is Bob's Red Mill "wheat-free, dairy-free, R5 elisa certified" and now I see "manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy". Man, oh, man. If these are food sensitivities, and not allergies, how crazy do I need to get about possible x-con when it seemed so mild to begin with?

Regardless, I have decided to follow Dr. Sears TED - chicken, potatoes, pears and rice. I put rice back in because I was sure it was not the problem. I guess we will find out very soon. I have a diaper to change right now!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And so the poop rollercoaster continues ... bad diaper. Rash getting worse. I'm hoping that it is because of the more recent changes that I made, such as coconut oil, oats, etc. I only added rice again last night. I just don't understand why this problem is all of a sudden getting progressively worse when it only used to be occasional?!?! Everything but the diaper are fine, by all outward appearances.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FnkyGreenMama View Post
I just don't understand why this problem is all of a sudden getting progressively worse when it only used to be occasional?!?!
This often happens with ED's, because you start eating a LOT of a food that you maybe only ate occasionally before, and that food ends up being an allergen. So that's the place to start looking. But I would give the new diet a few days before switching things out again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again, mamas! I am on day 3 of the TED and surviving better than I thought I would. Adding rice back in has given me more options so that makes me less cranky!

Another question - I am trying hard to justify being able to have a little raw honey on my not-so-yummy rice bread?! Everything I read says that it is not very allergenic unless you have allergy to pollen or bee stings. I know, I know, it counts as another food, right?
:

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Quote:

Thanks again, mamas! I am on day 3 of the TED and surviving better than I thought I would. Adding rice back in has given me more options so that makes me less cranky!

Another question - I am trying hard to justify being able to have a little raw honey on my not-so-yummy rice bread?! Everything I read says that it is not very allergenic unless you have allergy to pollen or bee stings. I know, I know, it counts as another food, right?
:
I'd personally wait a few days until things settle down a little and then add it back in

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Quote:

:
I hate to tell you... but if you're eating rice bread, you're probably eating a lot more ingredients than just rice!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you sense my desparation re: the honey?!?!

Sourdough rice bread: rice flour, water, tapioca, rice culture, organic sunflower oil, methyl celulose, agar agar, sea salt, destrose-destrin fibre. Haven't actually eaten any yet. Straight rice only so far.

Wish I could report good news/bad news. For the first time ever, DS went all day yesterday without pooping at all. Not sure how to interpret that!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Quote:

Can you sense my desparation re: the honey?!?!

Sourdough rice bread: rice flour, water, tapioca, rice culture, organic sunflower oil, methyl celulose, agar agar, sea salt, destrose-destrin fibre. Haven't actually eaten any yet. Straight rice only so far.

Wish I could report good news/bad news. For the first time ever, DS went all day yesterday without pooping at all. Not sure how to interpret that!

Oh my goodness. You definately cannot eat that bread on a TED. You must stick to the single ingredient foods only.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

For instance, my DD2 can't do sunflower, agar agar (or any kind of kelp/seaweed). And not sure what destrose-destrin is -- are you sure it's not dextrose? Which is corn based? I don't know where methyl cellulose comes from either.... Single ingredients or stuff you make yourself while on ED. It's the only way to be sure. I use raw honey but again, DD2 can't have honey, so you should trial it like you trial anything else.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey, I know this is hard, and I see you've gotten good info from other allergy fighting veterans. Just adding that my DS reacted to hemp milk pretty vigorously, with symptoms similar to those he had from milk/soy being in my diet. FWIW

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
For instance, my DD2 can't do sunflower, agar agar (or any kind of kelp/seaweed). And not sure what destrose-destrin is -- are you sure it's not dextrose? Which is corn based? I don't know where methyl cellulose comes from either.... Single ingredients or stuff you make yourself while on ED. It's the only way to be sure. I use raw honey but again, DD2 can't have honey, so you should trial it like you trial anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
Oh my goodness. You definately cannot eat that bread on a TED. You must stick to the single ingredient foods only.
Got it. Thanks. And yes, I meant dextrose-destrin. I won't touch the bread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommydancer View Post
Hey, I know this is hard, and I see you've gotten good info from other allergy fighting veterans. Just adding that my DS reacted to hemp milk pretty vigorously, with symptoms similar to those he had from milk/soy being in my diet. FWIW
Thanks. I'm off the hemp milk since Monday, but I wonder how long it takes for that to get our of our systems. I'm going to give it a few more days but today there was more blood in his poop. It was yellower, though, and more liquidy than mucousy (sorry for TMI). I guess that's something.

This is further complicated by people around me who are extremely concerned for my nutrition and health (I am too!), as I am now 10 pounds below pre-pregnancy weight, and still dropping. I feel like this may be affecting my milk, too, although I know that even malnourished mothers can provide good milk for their babies (if that is supposed to provide some comfort).

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Mama, when I read the recommendations above, I thought "Good grief, you all are going to scare the poor woman away!" Seriously, it is hard. And yet, you don't have to cook much, cause there ain't much to cook. :::SIGH:::

Regarding the weight loss, what are you doing for protein and fats? Are you juicing or drinking bone broths?

Pat

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Quote:

This is further complicated by people around me who are extremely concerned for my nutrition and health (I am too!), as I am now 10 pounds below pre-pregnancy weight, and still dropping. I feel like this may be affecting my milk, too, although I know that even malnourished mothers can provide good milk for their babies (if that is supposed to provide some comfort).
That's why it's important to be super strict for just a short period of time so that you're not stuck on the TED for months and months.

And be sure to eat LOTS of whatever foods that you can have! Have a cup of rice every couple hours throughout the day- soak it in olive oil and throw a big lamb chop on top. It might not be how you're used to eating, but it will get you through for a week or two.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Mama, when I read the recommendations above, I thought "Good grief, you all are going to scare the poor woman away!" Seriously, it is hard. And yet, you don't have to cook much, cause there ain't much to cook. :::SIGH:::

Regarding the weight loss, what are you doing for protein and fats? Are you juicing or drinking bone broths?

Pat
Thanks for looking out, Pat
This IS so hard. I appreciate all responses, even the ones that challenge me further. I was in denial for a long time that it would come down to this, and now I wish I had done it so much sooner. My new plan is to switch out potatoes for something else (asparagus? it seems to be listed as less allergenic) if there is no improvement tomorrow (if there is blood again). Potatoes were something that I ate more occasionally, back when this problem was only occasional.

I'm not sure where else the protein and fat could come from other than chicken/turkey, rice, pear and potato (or other vegetable). My sweet friend just dropped off a turkey, so I do plan to *attempt* to make a bone broth once that's cooked. I have limited cooking skills, but I'll have some help, thank goodness.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I just want to send good vibes. It is super hard to be on an ED.

CS mentioned making sure you eat enough. I can't agree more. It was amazing to me that most of my cravings went away when I was eating enough. So when I started to want something, I went for another bowl of rice, with chicken on top. My cravings seemed to stem from hunger, not specifically for the food.

Are avocados safe??? They are full of healthy fat, and satisfying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.